Previous Playstation 3 threads are available here:

Sony Playstation 3 Pre-E3 Conference Thread

Sony's Playstation 3 Pre-E3 Conference Thread Part II

Playstation 3 Information Thread

Playstation 3 Information Part II

Sony Announces BluRay for PS3

Sony Playstation 3 Discussion/Information Part III

Sony Playstation 3 Pre-Launch Thread

Sony Playstation 3 Launch Thread (Japanese/USA)

========================

From Engadget

All you owners of HDTVs that can only do 1080i, we've got some bad news for you. Sony Computer Entertainment America's head honcho of Corporate communications, David Karraker, apparently retracted -- or at least backtracked -- on Sony's previous statements about the increasingly infamous 1080i issue (the one that won't let PS3s play games at 1080i on HDTVs that don't support 720p). According to GameDaily, Sony cannot actually confirm this issue can be fixed via a firmware patch (although they're not denying it, either), and that they are "looking into the issue and haven't stated any actions that will be taken regarding it."

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you 720p-less guys better start looking at the Wii60 combo.

Yes, because that will help those that are interested in Metal Gear Solid , Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Team Ico titles, White Knight Story, Socom, Ratchet and Clank and the slew of other titles that will more than likely only appear on Sony's console this generation.

Listen, I highly doubt anyone that already spent $600 dollars to play these games is going to be looking at selling thier console for replacements that don't offer the experiences that are being sought after by buying the system in the first place. It's unfortunate that Sony allows such a glaring issue to blemish the release of the Playstation 3, and I have confidence that a solution will happen one way or another. Be it either through firmware (if it's possible) or something at the software level that Sony shares with its third parties.

I have confidence that a solution will happen one way or another. Be it either through firmware (if it's possible) or something at the software level that Sony shares with its third parties.

I hope you're right, Romier, because you're right about the games. I know that at some point, Sony is going to release a game I absolutely must own. Maybe it will be another Sly Cooper title or the third God of War or even the next game from Team Ico. Whatever it is, I know I'll want it, but the fact that I may have to resign myself to playing these games in 480p on my HDTV is enough to make me think twice about purchasing the system. I figure if I'm spending $600 on a gaming console, I had better get HD graphics and all the other bells and whistles.

I suppose a new TV purchase would remedy the situation nicely, but since my set still looks fine (and I'm having it recalibrated sometime soon) and since I can't swing a new one financially at the moment, I'm thinking it may be a while before that happens.

but the fact that I may have to resign myself to playing these games in 480p on my HDTV is enough to make me think twice about purchasing the system. I figure if I'm spending $600 on a gaming console, I had better get HD graphics and all the other bells and whistles.

Completely agree here. The main issue for me is spending $600 and knowing that Im not getting the full potential of the system, one I would personally be in having a set that can only produce 480p and 1080i (one really similar to Jeff's if I remember correctly).

It's amazing they push the PS3 for Blu-Ray and Hi-Def graphics and then blow the execution this badly. Im sure there will be a patch, but really, shouldn't this be something thought of from the get go?

Yes, because that will help those that are interested in Metal Gear Solid , Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Team Ico titles, White Knight Story, Socom, Ratchet and Clank and the slew of other titles that will more than likely only appear on Sony's console this generation.

And alot of those exclusives are made by third party publishers. So there are no guarantee's as to what systems they might wind up on. Especially if Sony cannot workaround this glaring problem with their "HD" gaming system. I'm in the same boat as alot of folks here with a set that will only do 1080i and my jaw nearly hit the floor when I read about most games only outputting 720p. All the HD sources I've got hooked up to my TV look phenomenal, so I have no interest in upgrading it for quite a long time. They had to have known that this would be a problem. My interest in the system, regardless of what "killer-apps" are released, went from moderate eventual purchase to absolutely zero interest in 2.2 seconds flat. I would really like to hear from some developers/publishers on whether they believe the problem can be fixed and what they are doing to avoid the problem to begin with. Because, obviously, Sony either has no clue or is just keeping mum on the whole thing.

So there are no guarantee's as to what systems they might wind up on.

Except that as of right now you have a gaurentee that you'll be playing those titles on the Playstation 3 in the near future. Last I checked there is no guarentee whatsoever that they will be appearing on any of the two afformentioned consoles. So what exactly does recommending a "Wii60" to people that have already purchased a Playstation 3 have to do with anything? Nothing. It doesn't matter though, it's fashionable to kick shit Sony's way these days so we might as well recommend two consoles that have no bearing on the discussion at hand while we're at it. See, that's my problem with the Wii60 commentary in general. No offense to you directly Eldorado (or anyone in particular), it's just something I needed to get off of my chest.

Now, apparently somewhere in between this discussion some must have mistook my comments as giving Sony a pass for the current problems on the Playstation 3 so let's clear that up right now...

I was one of the first people in this thread to report on the 1080i scaling problem and also one of the first to condemn it. It's a huge oversight both from a useability standpoint and especially limiting from a company that has spent the last year regaling us with taglines like "The HD era doesn't start until we say so". It's a problem that NEEDS addressed. It's also entirely reasonable to feel pissed off and completely uninterested in the console if you lack a television capable of displaying 720p. I'd be outright livid if I were in the position that folks like Mr. James are in.

Having said that, I do believe there will be something done to alleviate this problem over time (we are, afterall, a week and a half out from launch) but I don't think it's going to be the "quick fix" people are expecting. Every bit of evidence points to the Playstation 3 lacking a proper hardware scaler and that is NOT something that will be corrected via a firmware update. We'll see how things pan..

My interest in the system, regardless of what "killer-apps" are released, went from moderate eventual purchase to absolutely zero interest in 2.2 seconds flat.

So don't play the games. I could care less, at the end of the day, what resolution my games come in, to be honest. HD is nice and all, but a shitty game in HD is still a shitty game. Whether you like it or not, the PS3 will have the sales, and subsequently the games listed above. Choose not to play them if you must. That's your call.

It's really funny to me that this is the same forum that's having a love affair with the Wii in 480i. I love my Wii as well, but I'm not obsessing over the fact that Nintendo once again failed to recognize the HD user. Big fucking deal. Zelda is fantastic. Wii Sports is a blast. In 480i. Call Guinness. Call the paramedics. There's an HD-phile playing games not in HD and he's enjoying it! Someone yell fire! Save us all!

Quick note: That's sarcasm up there. I understand the frustration, and Sony screwed the pooch on the 1080i thing. Fling your poop at Sony all you want, but if you want to play those games it's gonna be the way it is. While MS makes you pay for online, Nintendo makes you play in horrid 480i (or P for the lucky ones with the nonexistent cables), Sony kills puppies. They're all horrible, horrible, Satanic corporations that just want to ruin your will to live. Find a hovel, some dirt, and some worms. Live your life like the ascetic being you were meant to be.

It's really funny to me that this is the same forum that's having a love affair with the Wii in 480i. I love my Wii as well, but I'm not obsessing over the fact that Nintendo once again failed to recognize the HD user. Big fucking deal. Zelda is fantastic. Wii Sports is a blast. In 480i. Call Guinness. Call the paramedics. There's an HD-phile playing games not in HD and he's enjoying it! Someone yell fire! Save us all!

Im one of those people. There are 2 big points not mentioned that make it OK to fling shit at Sony:

1) The entrance fee difference between the two. Much more is expected from something I pay $600 versus $250 (game included).

2) Knowing that Im not getting the game's full resolution because my TV doesnt accept a certain resolution. If the roles were reversed and Nintendo put the Wii in this situation, we'd all have the same complaints.

Keep in mind these points come from the viewpoint of one who does not yet own a PS3.

Man, Romier, you seem grumpy tonight. I don't think I've ever heard you that grumpy sounding. Does something about the Wii60 joke get to you or something? :( Didn't mean to get you upset.

Folks without 720p support are in a bad situation. All the smacktalk about the Wii not doing HD, only to find out that a lot of PS3 owners are going to end up with a lot of 480p games just like the Wii.

So far the trend is for 720p games. Both the xbox1 and the 360 tend towards 720p. So far the PS3 seems likely to follow the trend. The talk from the Resistance folks, for example, confirms there's some performance problems/tradeoffs if they go 1080p instead (this makes sense - more rez is harder to push).

Maybe it'll work out and Sony will figure out a way around it. Maybe they'll mandate 1080i support or something.

The question for folks without 720p support is: is a PS3 with a bunch of 480p games worth $500-$600?

I was one of the first people in this thread to report on the 1080i scaling problem and also one of the first to condemn it. It's a huge oversight both from a useability standpoint and especially limiting from a company that has spent the last year regaling us with taglines like "The HD era doesn't start until we say so". It's a problem that NEEDS addressed. It's also entirely reasonable to feel pissed off and completely uninterested in the console if you lack a television capable of displaying 720p. I'd be outright livid if I were in the position that folks like Mr. James are in.

That's what I can't believe, either. I personally consider this the biggest mistake of the PS3 launch. I can't believe it was overlooked.

For those that think it won't be and don't want to buy a new HDTV, the Wii60 combo might be the worth contemplating. It's likely to have a pretty good selection of Western and Eastern games. It might leave you without DMC & FF, for example, but there's also other gains (Xblive and Wiimote).

I almost ended up a 720p-less person myself as I came very close to a few CRT HDTVs without it, and a Panny plasma (some of which were 720p-less) on more than one occasion. So I feel for folks without it as I was almost in the same boat. I'd be "absolutely livid" if I was a PS3 owner stuck playing in 480p.

BTW: As far as Wii60, if you're in the "just for the games" market for the PS3, well, yes, the recommendation doesn't make sense. But I thought a lot of folks wanted HD graphics? I wasn't hearing "just for the games" from Sony. I heard "full HD" and a $500 box full of supercharged hardware to push it.

Man, Romier, you seem grumpy tonight. I don't think I've ever heard you that grumpy sounding. Does something about the Wii60 joke get to you or something? Didn't mean to get you upset.

I didn't mean for it to sound as pissy as it did Green. I apologize if it came off that way. I'm just not a big fan of the "Wii60" phrase in general is all so it tends to set me off.;)

I didn't mean for it to sound as pissy as it did Green. I apologize if it came off that way. I'm just not a big fan of the "Wii60" phrase in general is all so it tends to set me off.;)

No prob ;)

I may tend to get a little bit eager to laugh at Sony's screwups, but, I'm right in the "PS3 is too expensive" camp and maybe I'm a bit grumpy with them about it. I don't like Blu-ray being bundled in, I REALLY don't like the pricetag, I don't like the behemoth size of the PS3 (minor issue), and I don't like the attitude I'm hearing from them. To me they sound like Nintendo did in the 8-bit era. Hubris. Arrogance.

I mean, my shelf is full of PS2 games.

The system that I got the most play on: the PS2.

My only game system I had around before that: a PS1 and a bunch of RPGs for it.

My favorite kind of game: RPGs, which have thrived on the PS2.

The system we had at launch - PS2.

My favorite games last generation: Devil May Cry, Maximo, Dragon Quest 8, Tekken Tag Tourney, Dynasty Tactics - all PS2 games.

I'm far from a Sony-hater.

It feels weird to be getting the Nintendo system. VERY weird. The only reason we got the Gamecube was because my wife bought it. And the Xbox 1? Hell, I didn't see any games besides Panzer Dragoon Orta I wanted for like 4 years. :D

It feels very strange to be jumping ship. But I didn't like what I was seeing before launch, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing now. What kind of company didn't think of this? There's sooooo many sets out there without 720p support. I can't believe it was overlooked. I'm flabbergasted. Makes me wonder what else is going on with their hardware dept.

1. nintendo promised 480p and 480i. Nothing more nothing less.
  2. Sony promised HD in all games, but that isn't happening.
  3. MS has a $400 box with a damn good scaler inside. For $600 I can't get a scaler?
  4. I have no problems playing games in SD, but when I buy something that is supposed to be HD, and it is not, because Sony was more worried about 1080p, which is is as fucking rare as Bigfoot, then there is a problem. Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray...that is all I hear from them.

I was at Gamestop Friday morning to get another Wii, they had three of them and one PS3. There were about 25 people there. Guess how many people wanted that one PS3? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a "z", ends with an "o", and has "er" in the middle. :)

-Dean-

Just so everyone knows, I bought a PSone on launch, a PS2 a year after (once the games hit), and a PSP on launch. i even spewed how the PSP will kill the DS. I was a Sony supporter, but until they stop spewing obvious lies, I cannot support them.

The only Sony console I have left is a PS2, which I love. My PSP went to Game Crazy for a DS Lite.

-Dean-

I'll also state that I have owned every Sony system on their launch day. I love the PS1. I love the PS2. The PSP is alright, but I've realized handheld gaming isn't for me. PS3 is the first system from Sony that, to me, feels not right. I know games aren't going to fundamentally change from standard def to high-def, but that's the rub ain't it. HD gaming was promised, and for me and many others they haven't delivered. Yet, at least. But I'm not banking $600 on the idea that they might get around to fixing this problem. So if anyone wants to play HD games in SD resolution, more power to ya.

Unfortunately, Engadget has an article up for a retraction from Sony that they will fix the 1080i scaling issue. It would appear more and more likely now that they will have to implement this via software scaling as opposed to a hardware scaler or a firmware update. Not necessarily a bad thing - just passing it along.

Nope because Vin died. I think we have had enough of those. Its gotten a bit out of hand, myself included

Thank God.

A lot of people in the thread in the same boat as me (non-720p TVs) have already put forth the reasons for our frustration quite eloquently. I, personally, have been doing my part to make sure the word has gotten out to those in a similar plight.

This is such a huge oversight by Sony it's not even funny. As those before stated, Nintendo stated flat-out "we will give you widescreen 480i/p only" and we won't charge you twice as much to do so. Microsoft took care of it beautifully, it's a non-issue. Sony let it slip out and hoped the ownership of 1080i-only TVs was small enough they could get by without fanfare. Big mistake.

Yes, it's all about the gameplay, but now as a 360 owner, why would I bother getting a PS3 to have to multi-platform games in 480p? The 360 looks like the clear winner in that regard. I bought many multi-platform games on the original Xbox just because it was always sure to have the best version, with 480p and 5.1 surround sound and sometimes online play.

I am having a blast with my Wii, and the solid titles for the 360 just keep on trucking out. We are probably about a year away from a solid exclusive franchise showing up on the PS3. Some developers are even starting to hedge their bets and develop for both the PS3 and 360 (Assassin's Creed). I'm at the point now with the 1080i-debacle being the icing on the cake, that I may not care about getting a PS3 for many years. I've only got so much time as it is, and there is lots of other GREAT stuff out there to play. I used to get every new console platform regardless, but the times they are a changin'...

Okay. We get it. Sony is teh evil.

I'll be over here in case anyone wants to talk about the actual PS3 instead of why everyone, once again, is not getting one. No need to re-re-re-re-confirm the fact that you're happy with your 360s and Wiis as many have been doing for several months. I'm not pointing any fingers directly, but, please, can we stop with the "I'm not getting one. Still. As of today. I know I said that yesterday, but I'm still not getting one today."? It's as old as the Vin at this point.

Okay. We get it. Sony is teh evil.

I'll be over here in case anyone wants to talk about the actual PS3 instead of why everyone, once again, is not getting one. No need to re-re-re-re-confirm the fact that you're happy with your 360s and Wiis as many have been doing for several months. I'm not pointing any fingers directly, but, please, can we stop with the "I'm not getting one. Still. As of today. I know I said that yesterday, but I'm still not getting one today."? It's as old as the Vin at this point.

I know we can trace this back to Jeter not getting MVP. :D