LCVG

Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace 360 Discussion Part VI

Romier S

Here's the new marketplace thread. The previous thread was closed due to both size and just a general lack of my liking of where the discussion was heading. Please continue to discuss any and all marketplace related topics in this thread. There are links to all of the previous threads right here:

**ADMIN NOTE**

This is a continuation of the Xbox Live Marketplace discussion. The previous threads on this topic can be found here:

Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace 360 Discussion Part I

Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace 360 Discussion Part II

Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace 360 Discussion Part III

Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace 360 Discussion Part IV

Xbox Live Arcade and Marketplace 360 Discussion Part V

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you with multiple region accounts on Xbox Live may want to look out as Microsoft is apparently looking to ban those accounts now according to this report:

http://www.xboxic.com/news/2054

If you’re still one of the few persons that only have one single Xbox Live on their Xbox 360, you can stop reading here. If on the other hand you’re one of the many thousands that have registered a second or third account in another region using region lockout circumvention, you will be interested to know that Microsoft is planning to ban those accounts soon.

Everyone knew how to do it and many people did. The Xboxic crew actually uses the ‘trick’ frequently to make sure our reporting is correct on when what Xbox Live Marketplace content became available in which region. No more, according to usually quite well informed German site Xbox Archiv (Babelfish translation follows):

Did anyone else download the new Dark Sector trailer on the marketplace? I got it last week after it was put up for download and was impressed with what I saw. I'm not sure if the game is using UE3, but it certainly looks like it. Highly recommend giving it a download (especially since the typical game content doesn't seem to be affected by the terrible slowness of the video content).

Yep I saw the trailer, and Liked what i saw

(especially since the typical game content doesn't seem to be affected by the terrible slowness of the video content)

The new Movie/TV show content is using a new set of servers (mentioned on MN's podcast) so its seperate from everything else

Those of you with multiple region accounts on Xbox Live may want to look out as Microsoft is apparently looking to ban those accounts now according to this report

So how's that going to work; are they just going to lose business to anyone who ever did this on a permanent basis? Because that's an absolute shitload of people who will no longer be able to spend money in their live arcade.

That's pretty remarkably unreasonable, given that everything, from all your game saves to potentially hundreds of dollars worth of marketplace purchases are tied to these accounts.

So how's that going to work; are they just going to lose business to anyone who ever did this on a permanent basis? Because that's an absolute shitload of people who will no longer be able to spend money in their live arcade.

That's pretty remarkably unreasonable, given that everything, from all your game saves to potentially hundreds of dollars worth of marketplace purchases are tied to these accounts.

I'm guessing they're only targetting secondary Live silver accounts that people are clearly using just to download stuff not available in their region.

I'm guessing they're only targetting secondary Live silver accounts that people are clearly using just to download stuff not available in their region.

I'm guessing that's what they're trying to target, but it's going to have the side effect of preventing anyone importing the console or games to download content from the "home" region of that console/game.

They're going to ban downloading of video marketplace material from non-US accounts (probably based on IP I imagine). Post from a MS community rep on GAF:

Details aren't all in yet - BUT, I do know for a fact that we are NOT banning the accounts.

We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain US content in foreign marketplaces.

I think (my opinion) that it is a legal issue - still waiting to hear back the official word.

Details of this week's download:

Microsoft has announced that as part of the Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays program, it will offer a full-featured update to one of the most popular titles on the service – Texas Hold ‘em.

We’ve listened to our community and as a result, a host of features and improvements have been added to Texas Hold ‘em to speed up game-play, eliminate cheating and ensure proper competition. As a result, the online multi-player leaderboards will be reset to eliminate the inflated scores that currently appear. In a future update in early 2007, we’ll be adding Xbox Live Vision Camera support as well.

The update will be available for download on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 beginning Wednesday, November 29, after 0800 GMT (1:00 a.m. PST).

Below is a full list of the new features and changes in the Texas Hold ’em update:

Game-play has been sped up:

o Post the blind and play right away! – Players can now, if they wish, start playing immediately when joining a table by posting the big blind, rather than having to wait for the blind to come to them.

o New ‘Away’ mode – Players can now set their status to ‘Away’. Hands will be auto-folded and blinds auto-posted until the player returns.

o New ‘Auto-boot’ mode – Players who continuously let the timer expire (more than three times in a game) will be booted from the table

o Faster overall pacing – Timers and messaging durations have been adjusted to speed up game-play among experienced players, but still allow novice players plenty of time to play.

* Improved blind structure – Initial blinds, as well as blind increases, are now more proportional to table stakes, ensuring more meaningful increases during game-play.

* Matchmaking improvements – Players are no longer matched into games they cannot afford

* Improved interface controls – Improvements to controls, such as increasing/decreasing stake amounts

* Leaderboard display – A player’s full winnings and rank are now properly displayed

* Art and text improvements – Game art and spelling issues have been addressed

* Online exploits addressed – Certain known exploits that enabled cheating have been addressed. As a result, the online multi-player leaderboards will be reset to eliminate inflated scores as a result of these exploits.

Nice to read about the Hold'em update over in the locked arcade thread :D.

I haven't been in for a good game of this since the tourney, but it'll be worth checking out again with the update I hope. One thing I hope they fix is the 'everybody quits at once so everybody gets money' cheat that was leaving a bad taste in my mouth towards the end.

All good. I really like the Texas Hold 'Em game despite its flaws. The increasing table stakes on the higher end tourneys and games is a huge relief, it took forever to knock the legs from an NPC in the final tourney (it never gets tired and the blinds are like <.5% of our stakes.)

I never played much online, but maybe I will now. So must I d/l this or does it auto-patch when I start the game?

How about changing the annoying "feature" where losers of a tournament were booted once they were defeated?

Good point. Even after losing, half the fun was hanging with friends just to shoot the shit. I also enjoy watching how things unfold during a card game.

You may want to get rid of the 14.4 BR modem. :P j/k

Please let us know how CotT looks in HD.

Will do. The funny thing is that in the time it took to download that one movie from XBLMP, I downloaded two seasons of television programming from a torrent.