LCVG

I had an interesting morning

Jeff W

I awoke this morning to the sound of someone breaking into my house, my bedroom is downstairs and they got in through a window of the room directly above mine. I grabbed my gun and ran outside hoping to catch them but there was no one, the back window was open and a plant sitting on the inside ledge was tossed outside, I checked the room through the window but it was empty. The back gate is locked but I noticed the front one was open, I ran that way but didn't see anybody, I went to get back in the house but the side door was now locked. I felt like a real idiot because I thought they were inside and locked me out, there are other guns upstairs, they're not out in the open but with enough time they could have found them. First instinct was to head to a neighbors and call the cops but my sister was in the house still asleep, I knew if I waited for them or went in and they found or had guns it was going to get bad but I had to get back in there, I was just about to shoot the deadbolt of the side door when it opened, it was my sister.

Apparently they got in through the room next to hers, they didn't think anyone was home and opened her bedroom door only to be greeted by our dog (a boxer) who was sleeping with her. They tried to get him back into the room but he wasn't having any of it, then my sister sat up in bed and they bolted back through the window. She went downstairs to get me and freaked when I was gone (already outside), she was the one who locked the side door because she saw them go back out the window.

In the end they got nothing and there was little damage, the guy who lives across the alley saw them and gave chase, he was able to give a description for the cops. Everyones all right and I guess that's all that matters but I'm pissed, I really wish I could have gotten a shot at one of them, don't think I could kill a man unless I absolutely had too, but a .45 hollowpoint to one of the bastards leg's would've made me feel a whole lot better about the situation.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it sounds like a lot of LCVGers are having a rough Monday. Glad you and your sister are alright Jeff. What are the laws like in your state regarding shooting people breaking into your home? I know most states have an "immanent threat" law.

Thankfully you didn't have to unleash your Call of Duty sniping skills on the scumbags who broke in :).

No matter how aware I am of American citizens being able to own guns I can still read a comment like that and be somewhat taken aback. Over here it'd be "I reached for the nearest big stick"

I thought the same thing, and I live in the US. I have no problem with it, but I found the nonchalant mention of it kind of funy.

Glad you and your sister are okay.

What is the law for shooting someone who breaks into your house?

I vaguely remember something from a class in college about a local case that helped establish a law here. IIRC, a burglar broke into a guy's house, the owner had a gun, and the owner shot the burglar in the back as he was fleeing and killed him. It went to court and I think the owner went to jail.

I live in Detroit so I keep a .45 in the nightstand, my father's a big gun knife collector so I grew up around it, from when I was like 12 on I get a knife from him for Christmas EVERY year to this day :D

I'm not completely sure but I think they changed those laws here in Michigan giving a bit of leeway if you shoot a burglar in your house, if you shoot him in the back however you're probably in trouble no matter where you are. To be completely honest, were my life or the life of a loved one not in danger I'm unsure if I could actually shoot someone, guess I'm just lucky I didn't have to find out today (although I'm still fuming some scumbag broke in and attempted to take what's mine).

Yikes. Glad everyone is ok Jeff.

You ever consider getting an alarm for your home? I have a 4 legged "alarm" (100lb lab who sounds alot meaner than he is) but I've considered getting an alarm since I work night shift and live by myself. I think my dog would scare most burglars away but I worry that I'll ge hit by one of the local kids who roam the neighborhood well into the wee morning hours doing god only knows what. Since alot of them know my dogs name and demenor I dont think they'd fear him. I have made it a point to keep the outside of my house well lit (with motion sensors in logical spots) as well as keeping lights on inside my home to make it look like someone is home. I think that is probably enough but still doesn't keep me from thinking about getting a monitored alarm system.

For the record I have no guns (and have no problem whatsoever regarding people having them for self protection/target shooting) but I do keep a hammer and metal pipe by my bed just in case. I'd prefer to inflick my damage up close and personal. I should look into making some homeade sticky grenades.... ;)

Inside your house = free game. I think where it gets confusing is when they are on your property but not in your house. I'm not sure about all the legalities with regards to that situation. That being said I'd never chase after someone once they leave my home. That is for the police to handle at that point. My life is far more important than getting revenge or teaching some loser a lesson. I understand in the heat of the moment though it would be almost impossible for me to adhere to any logic of that sort. Knowing how I get when family is threatened I'm pretty sure I'd be trying to get midevil on someones ass. Hopefully I'm never put in that situation. :/

I vaguely remember something from a class in college about a local case that helped establish a law here. IIRC, a burglar broke into a guy's house, the owner had a gun, and the owner shot the burglar in the back as he was fleeing and killed him. It went to court and I think the owner went to jail.

It varies from state to state, there isn't a firm federal mandate on this. I live in Colorado and we have a "Make my Day" law in effect on your property (no, I'm not shitting you, that's the actual name of the law.) Basically, if you feel threatened at all on your property by a stranger, you can drop them and the law CANNOT come after you if the threat was justified. So be real nice to folks in CO or they might thumb the hammer on you and press a butterknife in your dead hand as they call 911.

It doesn't seem to affect burglaries or attacks either way, but if I was a thief it would make me damn nervous. Doesn't help that every time I've bought a gun the guys behind the counter remind me to "shoot to kill." No survivor = no he said / she said = no lawsuit. Ouch!

bug - don't be in a hurry to regret not shooting someone, but I'd sure as hell get that boxer a nice meaty bone tonight for a job well done. For all you know, he saved you or your sister's asses this AM.

Inside your house = free game.
It depends on what state you live in. Some states have passed Castle Doctrine laws, some haven't (though some may have it through established case law).

If you own a gun for self-defense, you should probably read up on your state's laws regarding the authorization of deadly force. It's not something you want to second-guess yourself about during an incident.

All I know is if someone ever breaks into my home the last thing I'll be thinking about is any "law". Intruder in my home = immediate threat to my life which = incapacitation and/or death by any means necessary. That is my law and I'm sticking to it. :) I do hear what you guys are saying though. It is certainly good to know your local laws regarding the issue especially when firearms are involved.

I'm not much one for killing someone just because they broke into your house. I tend to be very reluctant about ending lives, no matter how useless they seem.

But shooting 'em non-fatally a few times, that's cool with me :P Or killing them if they come at you.

Glad to hear it worked out OK and no one got hurt and you didn't lose anything. There was a dude on DVDtalk I remember reading his post a year or two ago - he was gone for a few days and came back to find all like 1000 of his DVDs stolen, amongst other things :eek Apparently they used his own garbage bags to steal them, too.

There is a rule of thumb about this you know. Get a pump action 12 gauge shotgun for home defense and keep it handy. If someone doesn't run the minute they hear that tell-tale "click-clack" sound of the shell being manually loaded, you can kill them since they are either crazy or stupid. Any sane burglar will head out fast if they hear that sound.

So yeah, I have a Remington 870 short barrel I keep in the closet for this purpose ;) I don't know if I could drop the hammer on someone who had just broken in, but if they see/hear that, I'd hope the question would be moot.

I'm glad nobody was hurt - scary stuff!

I think I fear things like that more than just about anything -- the actions of people without any sort of moral compass.

A year ago, my fiancee and I moved up to a quiet, safe, well-regarded suburb of New York City (it's a good hour north). My goal was to get away from that kind of thing, and then back on Halloween, this happens just 10 miles away from our house in a neighboring town:

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_story_304073754.html

It would almost be funny if it weren't so scary... and close to home...