LCVG

Twin Peaks Discussion Thread - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song

Hey Gang,

It feels like yesterday when over at the HTF there was discussion about Twin Peaks Season One on DVD. How it was missing the pilot episode (which I've since imported), how great the quality was, and how great the season was.

I watched the first season over the course of a week, and began waiting for an announcement that Season Two was coming.

I'm still waiting for that announcement. Reading different sites, there seem to be rumors that it will be released in Region 2 (perhaps as early as this June) and then maybe in Region 1 by the end of the year.

But those rumors are just that - rumors.

Recently, my girlfriend and I started watching Season One again, since she'd never seen it. Now, that started up my being impatient to want to see Season Two.

I know part of what happens in Season Two - namely who killed Laura Palmer, because I remember being in junior high when the show was on, and some people started talking about it after the show aired. And I've also read and heard many people voice that the show really goes downhill after that.

I just want to see the shows for myself.

Which brings me to my question: Does anybody know of a site that I could find the old Laserdisc box set, or if need be...VHS. Yes, I would stoop so low as to pick up the VHS set.

I've browsed Ebay, and found nothing. Half.com had a used laserdisc set, but it would set me back $100. I'm not ready to spend that much, knowing that the DVD's will eventually be released. Heck, I know that if I order it from Half.com, the day after I get them in the mail an official announcement would be made that the DVD's are being released...

Or, if any LCVG member has the set and wants to PM me about possible viewing options, let me know.

Otherwise, I'll just play the waiting game.

The waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry-Hungry Hippos!!!

Cheers,

Jason

I really need to revisit this series. I remember watching it when it aired back in the day. About the only thing I really remember about it is the excellent theme song. :) If this is available for rent next time I'm at Blockbuster I'll pick it up otherwise I'm just going to find a good deal on the special edition first season dvd and buy it.

The is the only TV show I've ever really followed. The only show I would go out of my way to watch. I love Twin Peaks.

Season two gets really odd at times. Not as odd as the film, Fire Walk With Me, but odd enough. Most people don't care for it nearly as much as season one but I remember it quite fondly.

I have also heard of rumors of a Q4 release in the US as well as the posibility of a new cut of Fire Walk With Me. Apparently, the version of the film which was released suffered from a lot of internal struggles and much of what would have summed up the series was "left on the cutting room floor". Rumor has it the film has been re-edited to make sense. However, David Lynch supposedly will have nothing to do with the re-edited versioin -if it's even really happening.

I did a little digging and it seems Paramount is indeed doing all new transfers for the Season 2 DVD release, so hopefully the quality will be up to par with the Artisan releases. There is no release date yet, but the soonest they could possible release them in Region 1 is October as that is when they officially get the rights I believe.

Thanks Guys! So it sounds like it is indeed coming...that's great news. If it happens this year, that'd be fantastic.

Camp - I also heard that there may be a new cut of FWWM. To be honest, I've still never seen the movie - I own it on DVD and it's still sealed, waiting until I watch Season Two. I understand that it's rather strange (even for Lynch) and contains many spoilers if you haven't seen the whole series. Hence, I'm waiting to watch it.

Lynch is busy with his current film, Inland Empire, so I wouldn't expect it soon. According to dugpa.com, new interviews were shot with the cast last year for the boxset.

As for FWWM, it's long been known, right since it was filmed, that a huge amount of scenes were filmed & cut. The shooting script was much longer than the final film, with whole bunch of characters from the original series cut from the final film. There were negotiations done a number of years ago to get those scenes finished up & put on DVD, but the deal stalled because of the expense. Like the pilot, these scenes are stuck in rights limbo. According to dugpa, the idea is not to do a 'director's cut' version of the film, but to put them on the DVD seperately.

"The Fight for the FWWM Deleted Scenes"

I'm a huge, huge fan of David Lynch, though some of his current dablings disappoint me, they don't change the worth of his work. Twin Peaks was/is a huge big deal to me. I don't buy many DVDs these days, but the second season & a proper release of FWWM will be day one purchases.

Camp - I also heard that there may be a new cut of FWWM. To be honest, I've still never seen the movie - I own it on DVD and it's still sealed, waiting until I watch Season Two. I understand that it's rather strange (even for Lynch) and contains many spoilers if you haven't seen the whole series. Hence, I'm waiting to watch it.

There are a few key sequences that are strange, but most of it fits into the context of the series pretty well. But watching it before the second season is definitely the wrong thing to do, so you're doing the right thing to wait.

I don't quite understand how someone could get to this point in time without knowing a bunch of the secrets of Twin Peaks, but that's by the by :)

[added]

And thanks guys, you made me dig up 'Wrapped in Plastic' for the first time in years... I'll have to go order some back issues.

Hey Brian,

No, you make a good point. I want to say I was in 7th grade when the series originally aired, so the only spoiler I remember is the biggest one - who killed Laura Palmer.

Other than that, I've managed to use discipline and not read any of the spoilers, and try to be really careful when reading discussions about the DVDs. Believe me, it's been very tempting to watch FWWM, but I am a patient boy...I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait.

I'd be very interested if they do re-release FWWM with a bunch of the cut scenes on the disc. It's rare for me to double-dip on DVDs nowadays, and I've been buying more used DVDs than new, but like you Twin Peaks Season Two and a re-released FWWM would be purchased on Day 1.

Cheers,

jason

I don't quite understand how someone could get to this point in time without knowing a bunch of the secrets of Twin Peaks, but that's by the by

I don't quite understand how someone could get to this point in time without knowing a bunch of the secrets of Twin Peaks, but that's by the by

Your talking about my wife. We watched all of Season 1 on DVD, I was already a fan of the show, she was not familiar with it. When FWWM came out I got it and told her that it would ruin season 2 for her, but she wanted to see it anyways, this was also at the time when Artisan announced it wasn't going to do Season 2 on DVD because it cost too much. When the scene with the lady in the red dress happened my wife got up and turned off the movie because it was typical david lynch non-sense. My wife is not a fan of David's work like I am, but Twin Peaks almost had her changed.

I can't wait for Season 2 on DVD, they could charge $200 for it and I'll be there begging for it.

When the scene with the lady in the red dress happened my wife got up and turned off the movie because it was typical david lynch non-sense.

Lil? That's what, ten mins in? :) Rose is far from a Lynch fan either, but she loved the first season. Hasn't seen the movie yet, because I won't let her.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the silly scene with Lil systematically deconstructed later to explain how it's all a code? I definitely remember Lynch using it to take the mickey about how people accuse him of being nonsensical when he's actually really methodical about the weird stuff.

Oh yeah, I was just in Seattle for the first time this weekend visiting some friends (including a fellow Lynch fanatic) with my wife. Apparently the diner has been bought by new owners and totally remodeled such that it doesn't even resemble its old self. Very sad, really. We still might make a trip up there sometime when I'm in the area again.

This topic always makes my blood pressure rise. :) I remember bitching about the non-release of Season 2 over at HTF. I bought the first season the first day it was available on DVD! Seriously, that was in 2002... I had a girl who was interested in it, but I wouldn't let her watch it until the DVD sets were complete. I guess we lost a Twin Peaks fan that day. She would've been confused, too, but I explained in advance that you have to watch the entire thing to understand what Lynch is doing with the storyline and making each character unique the only way Lynch can do.

Argh. Thinking about how this is still unreleased makes me need to go outside again... :D

• 1 month later...

So last night I watched "I Don't Know Jack", a documentary on the life & times of Jack Nance, featuring interviews with David Lynch, Catherine Coulson & a bunch of other industry friends & family of the late great Jack Nance. It's far from what I'd call a must see, but for bigtime fans of Lynch & his work, I think it's a nice documentary showing the person behind that silly grin or grimace that Nance did so well. Didn't know he was married to the Log Lady for a while.

This topic always makes my blood pressure rise. I remember bitching about the non-release of Season 2 over at HTF.

You and me both! I bought the first season back when it was first released as well, having never seen the show when it was first on. Watched the first 13 episodes and got hooked, and then waited...and waited...and waited...(you get the idea) for the second season release. Still a little pissed that I haven't gotten to see it, but I'm sure that someday, there'll be a season 2 release. I've stopped believing the news though-every start on this has been a false one. Better to just wait and be pleasantly surprised when it shows up in stores.

• 3 months later...

Badalamenti posts on his myspace page about a new soundtrack CD!

Dear Fans,

We are currently putting together a CD collection of music from the second season of Twin Peaks. The album is tentatively scheduled to be released at the end of 2006 along side the second season DVD set.

In addition to this we are also considering putting together an additional collection, consisting of unreleased music from all that is Twin Peaks: The feature-length pilot, The 2 Seasons which aired on ABC, and the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

We want your input!

Post your favorite Twin Peaks musical-moments under the MORE MUSIC FROM TWIN PEAKS entry on Angelo's MySpace blog: http://blog.myspace.com/angelobadalamenti

Yet another indication that we're really going to get season two on DVD soon!