LCVG

Some DDR Questions

Chris F

So I'm obsessed with DDR. I've never actually played it though. I've seen videos, I understand the concept, but I've never stepped on a pad, in the arcade or at home. It's just a strange obsession with me. I know it's very weird.

I bought DDRMAX2 a few weeks ago. I'll probably end up getting the previous DDRMAX game, as well as the older PSOne titles too. Now I'm looking for a pad to use at home so I can make a fool out of myself, I mean practice on.

Has anyone tried the Red Octane Ignition 2.0 pads? These are the ones I'm looking at, and I was curious if any of you had ever tried them, or had any recommendations. I'm also curious about durability, using sneakers while on the pad, and ummm, maximum weight on these pads. LOL

I've also decided that my favorite song is "Silent Hill". I heard it once playing on GamingFM, and imagine my surprise when I found it on DRMAX2! I can tell you right now that is the first song I'm going to try to dance to.

And no, I will NOT be taking videos for you to laugh at. ;)

I've never used the Red Octane pads before, but from what I understand they are pretty highly regarded. Lots of people who don't want to get the official Konami pads opt for the Red Octane pads instead. And to answer your question about shoes, DO NOT play the game while wearing them - you have to play in your socks or bare feet otherwise you will mangle your pads (unless you buy the expensive hard pads). I don't know about maximum weight capacity for most pads, but it seems unlikely that you could do any real damage to them unless you were really abusive.

Glad to hear you are getting into DDR, it's a great series of games and very fun... don't get discouraged when you first start playing, because it takes some practice to get good at. Don't give up!

I've played DDR for a while now, although since I started playing Hockey and that gets the bulk of my exercise time.

What I did for pads was to take my original Konami pad and then bulk up the padding in it. That's seemed to work pretty well.

I have a friend with a few of the Cobalt Flux metal pads... which tells me that he is clearly insane. $250 bucks a pad? No thanks.

Glen

Eric & Glen, thanks for the info. :D

I'm really looking forward to getting into DDR. It just seems so weird, and that makes it exactly the type of thing I'd be into.

I will most likely get the Red Octane Ignition 2.0 pads, and I'll post my findings and mishaps while dancing as soon as I do. ;)

Be sure to get a cheap Cube for Donkey Konga ;).

Seriously though, I love DDR to death, it's one of my favorite games even though I am quite wretched at it. You have to be careful with home pads because they're very easy to beat the crap out of and they are no substitute for the metal arcade pads unfortunately.

That said, I have seen on a number of hardcore DDR fan sites that those Red Octane pads are, as noted, highly regarded and basically as close as you can get to the arcade with a reasonable price (note the reasonable moniker there, I know Red Octane has a pre-order sign-up for a metal plate pad they're doing).

The arcade is, I believe, the only place you can go to play my personal favorite song, Stomp To The Beat by JS16. I'm pretty sure that never made a release on our side of the world in home console format.

I have a couple of the Red octate 2.0 pads and I love them. I find it best to play bare-footed (less blisters than with socks) but I never have tried it with shoes. They are very durable pads and they can be stored very easily. My only complaint with these pads is that they tend to slide on the floor but it really isn't that bad (I have them on carpet when I play). I assume most pads will slide a little. I guess that is why people build the big wodd/metal ones.

The arcade is, I believe, the only place you can go to play my personal favorite song, Stomp To The Beat by JS16

I am pretty sure this is in DDR max (the first PS2 one). I could be wrong though

Been out of town but had to get my .02 in on this one. Love DDR and my suggestion is if you are really serious forget about buying a pad - build one! You can build them for around $100 and they are very close to the arcade, insanely durable and if something ever goes wrong you just fix it.

There is a thread on ddrfreak.com about how to build them.

I've got a pic here of my first pad (I've built two). I've replaced the pegboard (the overhang in the pic was for a back plate which I never built) with some MDF to stiffen things up since I typically have them on carpet but I've used them heavily for about a year or so now without any problems.

You can make them look exact to the arcade but I went ahead and had my dad plot out some arrows for me instead of kinkoing some arcade style pads.

The arcade is, I believe, the only place you can go to play my personal favorite song, Stomp To The Beat by JS16

That is a great song, my wife and I are personally obsessed with Boom Boom Dollar. It is our 'dance off' tune of choice by far. Yes, Stomp to the Beta is on one of the PS1 versions of DDR, I remember playing it at one time.

Zathras, can you post a link to that message? I'd love to see how pad building is done.

Zathras,

Thanks for those links. My only problem with that is that I don't really have much space to start building pads in my apartment.

That, and I don't own any real tools. :D

Your pad (and the ones in the links you posted) look fantastic, and if I had the time, space & energy, I'd more than likely at least attempt to do it.