LCVG

PS2 to $99?

The Daisy

There are a few rumors going around the internet today that the PS2 might be dropping in price down to the $99.00 price point.

Could be total bunk, but here's the link.

edit: I can't get it to put the darn comma in there. Oh, well. Here is the whole little article from their site.

Sony fights back and decides to drop the retail price of their PS2 to just $99.99, the price of a Nintendo GameCube.

Now, this information isn't official yet, but we are not going to report it as a rumor either. A trusted friend of mine from with-in the retail giant Target has stumbled upon the in-store advertisement designs for the PS2 price drop. He then got a confirmation of the price drop from his Regional Vice President. While not exactly the highest position in the chain, he does know of happenings before they happen. Target is planning on doing a huge promotion for the PS2 price drop.

Glen

If that is true, then wow! Xbox would have to follow to stay competitive and then would the GC drop to $49 to maintain it's position as the value console? Man, these console wars are just getting crazier by the day.

Who would have guessed that by 2004 you could buy all three consoles for the original price of just one?

Sounds neat, but realistically with the installed based of the PS2 right now, will this seriously spike sales that much? The Cube had a lot of ground to gain back but the PS2 is already far and away the dominant console of this generation. I can't see how many more they can reasonably hope to sell. That's just me though.

I won't cry if the Box drops to $99, far from it.

Obvious question, is why would they? It's one thing, when you have third parties ready to walk away, you're currently third in North America and trailing even the distant second place rival badly, your upcoming holiday lineup boasts a kart game as the killer app title for the holidays, yeah, when that's your situation, you drop the price to $99, hold your breath and pray that someone notices and picks up your system, if only to give it a tryout.

But, for Sony, why? Perhaps down to $149. I could see that. But since, the regular ps2 units are supposedly not being produced anymore, it's very hard for me to see a ps2 online bundle currently selling at $199 being shaved by $100 to what, counter nintendo's price drop. Both Sony and MS will probably wait and see if the recent surge in cube sales is anything more than just a temporary blip on the radar. The cube's a good deal, but nintendo boxed themselves into a corner with this system. Cube owners aren't buying a whole lot of anything right now, not third party, save soul calibur and not a lot first party either. Nintendo really hasn't had a big first party game since Zelda.

I just want to state this right off the bat, so nothing spills into this thread like the one in Controller Down about the Gamecube to Dreamcast comparison.

***There will be no console bashing on this forum. This is a PS2 forum, but I will not tolerate the bashing of anything not Sony. So please keep it civil and mature like we have been doing since April. If you need a referal to what I am talking about, Mark's post says everything that needs to be said.***

You may now return to your regulary scheduled thread. :)

-Dean-

I think it works just because of how dang long the PS2 has been out compared to the other consoles. Being that it is also less powerful, I think that $99 is a great price point for it, and unless the hardware manufacturing costs for Sony haven't gone down much for some reason, it makes sense.

Sony Playstation 2 - US Launched October 26, 2000

Initial Price: $299

Current Price: $179

Price Change: -$120

Days since launch: 1080

Average price drop per day: $0.111111111

Microsoft XBox - US Launched November 15, 2001

Initial Price: $299

Current Price: $179

Price Change: -$120

Days since launch: 695

Average price drop per day: $0.172661871

Nintendo Gamecube - US Launched November 18, 2001

Initial Price: $199

Current Price: $99

Price Change: -$100

Days since launch: 692

Average price drop per day: $0.144508671

Of course, this could also somewhat reflect the trend of Microsoft being able to more easily drop their price because their console is based around normal PC hardware (Intel Processor, NVidia graphics), whereas the GC is somewhat proprietary (uses a specialized IBM PowerPC chip and ATI graphics) and the PS2 is almost completely proprietary (as far as I know). The PS2's mostly propietary hardware could make it cost considerably more to manufacture. Any comments?

Ryan, that's an awesome breakdown, very interesting to see the drop per day, I thought that was great. Thanks for posting it. You make a bunch of good points there, I think a lot of the PS2's continued standard price comes from the fact that they have not had to drop it to sell them. Let's face it, if you're competitive at a higher price point, are you going to lower your price? Nope.

Your view makes sense too, but realistically there's been very little impetus for Sony to make such a drop with the PS2 continuing its market dominance. That's my first guess anyway, but I could easily be wrong :).

I'm gonna weigh in with this, I think Sony will remain at it's current price unless the Xbox drops in price. As stated already, why drop the price when PS2 is selling just fine as is,... but if there were two cheaper console choices vieing against one more expensive console I feel many gamers would be swayed away from the PS2.

• 5 weeks later...