LCVG
kelley

Netflix members...

2 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I was initially kind of ho-hum on Altered Carbon, after the first 2 episodes, it seemed to be way more flash than substance...but I'm glad I continued watching, it's really developed into a fascinating story with great twists and characters with enough depth to get an emotional foothold.

I really need to watch it. Way behind on netflix stuff

14 hours ago, JoeyN said:

I really need to watch it. Way behind on netflix stuff

I've been gun shy on this show.  I used to watch sci-fi even when I didn't think it was gonna be good.  Now I'm just sick of bad or just me-too sci-fi.  Sci-fi is the FPS genre in videogames.  Great stuff everywhere that I'm just tired of.

Veronica is out on Netflix, and is getting "scariest movie ever" hype. 

We will be watching tonight. Can't wait.

Carlos 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

Meh. Veronica is a decent horror movie, but it is not deserving of the hype. 

Carlos.

I was so frightened I fell asleep at the end. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

Meh. Veronica is a decent horror movie, but it is not deserving of the hype. 

Carlos.

I was going to watch it later, after reading all the hype... as I've posted elsewhere, Netflix is the video store for the 21st century.  So much garbage, so few classics.   Be Kind, Rewind.

On 3/3/2018 at 11:06 AM, Jordan_E said:

I was going to watch it later, after reading all the hype... as I've posted elsewhere, Netflix is the video store for the 21st century.  So much garbage, so few classics.   Be Kind, Rewind.

I am in desperate need of a resource for finding out if Netflix shows or movies are good or not.  Every once in a while I see headlines about good shows, but there is so much stuff, I wish there was a podcast or website that would tell me what's good.  All I have to go on is the Netflix rating system and chatter in this thread.

I did find a podcast called Filmspotting: SVU, which is supposed to fill that need.  But they don't cover that much.

2 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

If you like Rotten Tomatoes you can search there specifically for Netflix and certified fresh.

Good idea.   I trust RT when renting movies I've never heard of, this is the same type of thing.

I just watched Verónica and I can see the gut reaction to the hype being what it is but after hearing very little about it  beforehand, I found that it’s quite good. Scariest movie ever? Of course not. That’s silly levels of expectation to put on a film. What it is though is a movie that features an excellent lead (Sandra Escacena), a solid cast of young kids and pretty effective possession story that carries through Paco Plaza’s signature escalating style. The finale is quite harrowing!

If you are unfamiliar with his work, you should immediately check out both REC and REC 2. Both films deal in very similar subject matter and are better films than Verónica,  but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a great deal to appreciate about this return to form for him (REC Genesis was a misstep). 

The biggest problem the movie suffers from is familiarity. It doesn’t really do anything new with the demonic possession genre (see “The Wailing” ASAP if you’re looking for something fresh) and much of its structure has been explored perhaps more effectively in recent horror films like “The Conjuring” and its sequel. Though I’d argue there’s a psychosexual aspect to this film that people are overlooking.

Nonetheless, Netflix as a service is bogged down in really trashy horror releases bearing the services name and Verónica is not one of them. It’s a victim of its own hype, unfortunately. If you want an effectively told, creepy possession thriller with some good performances, there are far far worst ways to spend an evening, IMO.

• Like 1

We’ve watched most of Nailed It, which is one of the most enjoyably goofy cooking shows I’ve watched in a while. Contestants try to replicate complicated works from professional bakers and it goes usually very poorly.

The French co-host gets better and better as the show goes on; his reactions are a delight.

Netflix is also bringing over a lot of new and bizarre anime, which I’ve been sampling off and on. Right now I’m watching A1CO and it’s standard mecha but done well. I’ve heard great things about Devilman Crybaby but only seen one episode. It’s absolutely batshit insane though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark E said:

We’ve watched most of Nailed It, which is one of the most enjoyably goofy cooking shows I’ve watched in a while. Contestants try to replicate complicated works from professional bakers and it goes usually very poorly.

The French co-host gets better and better as the show goes on; his reactions are a delight.

It's been a big hit with my wife & daughter. It's like the polar opposite of Great British Bake Off in so many ways.

• Like 2

Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 went up on Friday. I really enjoyed S1 and S2 went even more crazy and I loved it! It's 10, 30 minute episodes so its a quick binge. Highly recommended if you want to laugh. There's a Nazi episode early on that had me laughing my ass off.

Marc and Brian because of your posts I have started Nailed It. Now I can’t stop watching.

• Like 2

The third episode with the cop is probably the best. I swear to god I was yelling at the TV for half that episode it was so crazy.

Been watching the new Netflix documentary mini-series Wild Wild Country about Bagwan Shree Rajneesh and his cult/followers who moved from India and started a city in Oregon in the 80's. I don't even know where to start, the story has so many twists and turns, at times it's hard to believe it's true, but I remember as a teenager watching news reports about them. This is an extremely well-made documentary, unfolding the story methodically, but not stooping into sensationalism. There are many many interviews with people who were involved at then time, from cult leaders and members, local citizens, law enforcement, and state and federal officials...as that list suggests, the story is sprawling and surprising. And because the cult were kind of hip to high technology, there is a ton of video footage from the time as well.

Thanks for the Nailed It tip -- I hate hate hate reality television and my gf loves it, so it's always a struggle to find one we can watch together. This one worked for both of us!

• Like 2

Anyone else watch Lost in Space? Really enjoyed it. Hopefully we get a S2 as so much stuff was set up at the end of the season.  The show has to cost a nice piece of change to make. The CG is damn good.

I've been hopeful that Lost in Space might be fun to watch with the kids. As opinions and reviews roll in now I can't even decide if I want to attempt it. Might be fun, might be meh. Wish it was a slam dunk! 

With my main reason for being interested is that episode 6 is directed by Vincenzo Natali of Cube and Splice, and two others are by Neil Marshall of The Descent and Dog Soldiers, it had never even occurred to me that it might be suitable to watch with kids...

12 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

Couldn't get through the first episode of Lost in Space.  

I passed out. Holy slow mover, Batman. To be fair I had just returned from the gym but when I woke up 20 minutes later it appeared that nothing happened. The girl was still frozen, the sun was sitting in a tree amongst a forest fire. At least the elemental symbolism was shoved in my face like a banana cream pie.