LCVG
kelley

Netflix members...

I'm late to the party but I Am Not OK With This was a pretty well done. It's oddly short at 7 episodes averaging about 25 minutes each. Curious how that decision was made -but it worked well.

14 hours ago, Camp said:

I'm late to the party but I Am Not OK With This was a pretty well done. It's oddly short at 7 episodes averaging about 25 minutes each. Curious how that decision was made -but it worked well.

Good soundtrack too. 

• Like 1

Nailed It S4 is the show we needed and deserved. It’s up on Netflix.

If you're not watching Money Heist,  I don't know what to say, other than you're missing out.

It's just a great, ridiculously lovable show.

Season 4 was so great.  

Carlos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlucci said:

If you're not watching Money Heist,  I don't know what to say, other than you're missing out.

Season 4 was so great.  

Actually started season 1 over the weekend + loving it, a couple of episodes a night after the kids are in bed.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:15 AM, Camp said:

Cause it's British ;)

I finished watching "Unorthodox" yesterday. Absolutely engrossing from start to finish, although the full season is 'just' 4 hours long. Due in part to the stellar production values, it has an incredibly authentic feel, topped by a really powerful performance by the lead actress. It treads in some delicate territory, like the clash between fundamentalist religion and oppression to the countering desire for freedom and self-expression, but it treats all viewpoints with a respect that is impressive in its own right. The story is based on a memoir, I won't spoil a thing, but I'm curious if the book continues after the show, because I'd love to see more of this woman's story.

9 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I finished watching "Unorthodox" yesterday. Absolutely engrossing from start to finish, although the full season is 'just' 4 hours long. Due in part to the stellar production values, it has an incredibly authentic feel, topped by a really powerful performance by the lead actress. It treads in some delicate territory, like the clash between fundamentalist religion and oppression to the countering desire for freedom and self-expression, but it treats all viewpoints with a respect that is impressive in its own right. The story is based on a memoir, I won't spoil a thing, but I'm curious if the book continues after the show, because I'd love to see more of this woman's story.

I watched the trailer, and first thought "this is one of those foreign films with subtitles that I tell people I enjoyed but didn't really watch." Then I started to get a "Not Without My Daughter" vibe, and I like "escape from oppression" stories. Then I realized the where/who of this escape story. The whole thing threw me off. So I'm interested.

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I watched the trailer, and first thought "this is one of those foreign films with subtitles that I tell people I enjoyed but didn't really watch." Then I started to get a "Not Without My Daughter" vibe, and I like "escape from oppression" stories. Then I realized the where/who of this escape story. The whole thing threw me off. So I'm interested.

Yeah, to be honest, I wasn't interested based on the trailer. It was a comment on an NPR segment about shows to watch during quarantine that prompted me to start.

Man I just love Midnight Gospel so much. Hence my new avatar. I never really connected in a big way with Adventure Time, which is from the same animator. Although I enjoyed it when I saw it, I never felt compelled to seek it out. But Midnight Gospel, wow. It's combines wildly imaginative visuals with a "script" that takes the form of rambling but interesting conversations on topics like drugs, Buddhism, magic and mindfulness, the nature of the self, death and consciousness ( and I've only seen three episodes). The meandering nature of the conversations fits quite well with the surreal, whimsical, and sometimes disturbing animation. The episodes are overflowing with both non-stop visual mutations, and heady food for thought. Even topics I'm not particularly interested in, like magic (and I mean the mystical variety, not sleight of hand), I still enjoyed because the visuals are a treat, and also because even though I don't believe in such things, I can relate to the perspectives being proffered. This is an exchange of ideas, not soap-box style conversation.

There is a main character, Clancy, who visits a different version of Earth in his multiverse simulator each episode, and then 'spacecasts' his adventure to the universe after he returns. Duncan Trussell (whom I previously only knew from Drunk History) is the voice of Clancy who is one side of the conversations. There is definitely a bit of a Rick and Morty influence here, but it's way more than that.

I can definitely see this not being for everyone. It's a bit of a concept show, without much in the way of plot structure. Although, through the visuals a story is unfolding. It really is about the ideas exchanged in the conversations, which I found out are largely pulled from a podcast that Duncan Trussell hosts. Although there must be more to it because the conversations occasionally reference the visuals...or the voices reflect things that are happening (like holding ones breath while being underwater) which I assume are spliced in to follow the animation, although you can't really tell.

This really feels like the perfect relief from the chaos in the world right now. An escape into the worlds of ideas, and a maze of visuals, that when combined are greater than the sum of their parts.

• Like 1

Spike Lee’s latest is a Netflix release.

I was thinking about how much I enjoy seeing Delroy Lindo in anything just the other day when I was watching Get Shorty. Exciting to see him here.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Spike Lee’s latest is a Netflix release.

I was thinking about how much I enjoy seeing Delroy Lindo in anything just the other day when I was watching Get Shorty. Exciting to see him here.

Looks like it could be great, but my god that trailer is way too long and shows too much of the movie!

• Like 1

Definitely too long a trailer that reveals too much but it looks fantastic. If you haven’t seen BlacKkKlansman, do so now! It’s so so good.

I'm glad y'all are watching the trailer so I don't have to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, Carlucci said:

Season 4 was so great.  

Carlos. 

Finally got this started, and am now about halfway through season 2. It's so good! There are a few coincidences that are probably better if you don't think too much about them, but the characters and story are so entertaining that I'm willing to overlook a few things.

I'm watching the English dub, and it's one of the better dubs I've seen!

Thanks for the rec, @Carlucci!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTello said:

Added Money Heist to my watch list as well! 👍

I might be in a minority but I loved the first two seasons as they were clearly plotted together through an arc. The third season's not engaging me at all. 

I've only seen one of the three episodes, but Middleditch & Schwartz had us busting a gut the other night.  Two guys doing improv is not something I would usually seek out but a friend said it was funny and they were very much correct.  I haven't laughed that hard in a while.  It's amazing how much fun the two of them seem to be having up there, truly infectious.  

Highly recommend checking it out.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tylenol4 said:

I've only seen one of the three episodes, but Middleditch & Schwartz had us busting a gut the other night.  Two guys doing improv is not something I would usually seek out but a friend said it was funny and they were very much correct.  I haven't laughed that hard in a while.  It's amazing how much fun the two of them seem to be having up there, truly infectious.  

Highly recommend checking it out.  

Thanks for reminding me about this. I had no idea it was a 3-episode season. 

17 hours ago, Tylenol4 said:

I've only seen one of the three episodes, but Middleditch & Schwartz had us busting a gut the other night.  Two guys doing improv is not something I would usually seek out but a friend said it was funny and they were very much correct.

I watched the first one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it. The seat-of-your pants aspect was kind of thrilling. Some truly ingenious turns, and even when it kind of “broke” they managed to make it funny. Thanks for the reminder to watch more of it!

I'm done with all three seasons of Dark, basically watching an episode or two a night for the last couple of weeks. I'm utterly in love in how tightly plotted, how well thought through it has been from beginning to end, and how well they landed the ending... Each season builds on the scope of the "story" + problem, increasing the scope of the problem at the same time, and yet it all ties together in a "bow" without being pat or forced. 

Go watch this, please. 

• Like 2
  • Bravo 2

50 minutes ago, dogbert said:

I'm done with all three seasons of Dark, basically watching an episode or two a night for the last couple of weeks. I'm utterly in love in how tightly plotted, how well thought through it has been from beginning to end, and how well they landed the ending... Each season builds on the scope of the "story" + problem, increasing the scope of the problem at the same time, and yet it all ties together in a "bow" without being pat or forced. 

Go watch this, please. 

Indeed. Adored Season 1. A full rewatch is next once I’m done with the Ozark.

I finished Dark Season 1 last night, cannot wait for work to be over so I can dig into Season 2.