LCVG

Netflix members...

8 hours ago, Romier S said:

Indeed. Adored Season 1. A full rewatch is next once I’m done with the Ozark.

5 minutes ago, kelley said:

I finished Dark Season 1 last night, cannot wait for work to be over so I can dig into Season 2. 

I think watching it from the beginning is really key to keeping it all together + who is who. I can't imagine watching 3 cold after a year gap. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mindhunter finally returns Aug 16th

I take a lot of pride in where this thread is now going.

You are right. It is an odd decision.  I can't answer if you're stupid or not, sorry. 

Posted Images

Are there only going to be 3 seasons?  I watched the first but was terribly lost.  If there are no more coming it might make it easier to just binge it all at once. 

49 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Are there only going to be 3 seasons?  I watched the first but was terribly lost.  If there are no more coming it might make it easier to just binge it all at once. 

Third season is the last.

• Like 1

Yeah three seasons telling a complete story arc from beginning to end. It needs no more.

netflix has a cool companion site showing the family trees + histories, with a summary of key moments for each person, where you can tell it which episode you've watched up to so it can filter out spoilers + changes, really cool. 

https://darknetflix.io/en

• Like 3
  • Interesting 1
21 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Yeah three seasons telling a complete story arc from beginning to end. It needs no more.

netflix has a cool companion site showing the family trees + histories, with a summary of key moments for each person, where you can tell it which episode you've watched up to so it can filter out spoilers + changes, really cool. 

https://darknetflix.io/en

Awesome.  I'm definitely going to make use of that.

14 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Awesome.  I'm definitely going to make use of that.

You'll need it. It's a web of characters, motivations and well I can't get into why it becomes confusing without spoiling things. The first season was in serious danger of collapsing in on itself because of how much it had to juggle but its a testament to how good the show is that they were able to pull off what they did in the first season. I can't wait to dive into a rewatch and continue the viewing. I just finished S3 of the Ozark last night so I'm good to go to start!

...and for god sakes, put the show in its native German with subtitles.

I just finished watching Dark S2 again in anticipation of starting S3. I did the same before watching S2. It really rewards a re-watch like few other shows, simply due to the subject matter and how you flip around in time. But it also reveals the mastery of storytelling at another level. 

I’m not sure when I’ll start 3. I’m not in a huge rush. As I was watching 2 again, I realized how “real” these characters had become, and how I will genuinely miss experiencing the emotional rushes this show can bring alongside the intricate clockwork of a story. 

Oh, and I keep forgetting to call out the stunning work of Ben Frost on the soundtrack to Dark. Perhaps what is most impressive is how seamlessly the visuals merge with the soundtrack. I think one of the reasons I consistently forget to bring it up is because the music blends in so well, it feels inseparable from the existential angst of the story. I've been a fan of his for for over 10 years, his earlier work is a bit more in-your-face, but conveys the same unsettling feeling of dread that is all over Dark.

Also, as long as I'm talking about audio, the 'clock tick' transition sound is a tiny little stroke of genius.

I finished watching “The Business of Drugs” which is a fantastic documentary series on Netflix hosted by Amaryllis Fox - a former CIA analyst. It looks at the drug trade and war from a socio-economic standpoint including market drivers, sales strategies and much more. It’s a very unique take that I found seriously compelling and she makes for a great host. She knows her shit and applies years of experience to explaining the issues. She also gets some amazing access to everything from low level dealers to distribution and much more across a variety of landscapes/locations. 

I can’t recommend it enough.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 1:50 PM, Romier S said:

I finished watching “The Business of Drugs” which is a fantastic documentary series on Netflix hosted by Amaryllis Fox - a former CIA analyst. It looks at the drug trade and war from a socio-economic standpoint including market drivers, sales strategies and much more. It’s a very unique take that I found seriously compelling and she makes for a great host. She knows her shit and applies years of experience to explaining the issues. She also gets some amazing access to everything from low level dealers to distribution and much more across a variety of landscapes/locations. 

I can’t recommend it enough.

Same. I started last week and watched ep 4 a few days ago. I like how it steers clear of moralizing and sensationalism (for the most part) and focuses on the reality on the ground, both for manufacturers, dealers and law enforcement. Delving into the ethical and economic issues at each step. I really appreciate the global scope of the show too, not really focused on the US, but internationally. Although the set of issues covered are really universal.

I just watched The Business of Drugs Ep 5 on cannabis. It’s probably the best exposition of the current state of legalization I’ve encountered. As usual, the episode covers a lot of ground, from the plight (and flight) of Humboldt outdoor growers, to the increasingly unjust situation of having so many people of color jailed for moving the same plant that lots of people, overwhelmingly white, are making a lot of money on. 

The overall gist of the episode rings true. One of my closest friends had a fully permitted grow operation for 10 years in Oakland during the medicinal years. Very soon after legalization passed (and way before it went into effect), he sold his operation, which surprised me. I asked him why, and he quite presciently said everything was going to change and the little guys would get squeezed out. I wouldn’t be surprised if the folks who bought his operation are no longer in business. It was sizable as a pre-recreational operation, but tiny compared to what is going on now, which the show covers quite well. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I just watched The Business of Drugs Ep 5 on cannabis. It’s probably the best exposition of the current state of legalization I’ve encountered. As usual, the episode covers a lot of ground, from the plight (and flight) of Humboldt outdoor growers, to the increasingly unjust situation of having so many people of color jailed for moving the same plant that lots of people, overwhelmingly white, are making a lot of money on. 

The overall gist of the episode rings true. One of my closest friends had a fully permitted grow operation for 10 years in Oakland during the medicinal years. Very soon after legalization passed (and way before it went into effect), he sold his operation, which surprised me. I asked him why, and he quite presciently said everything was going to change and the little guys would get squeezed out. I wouldn’t be surprised if the folks who bought his operation are no longer in business. It was sizable as a pre-recreational operation, but tiny compared to what is going on now, which the show covers quite well. 

I need to watch this...it's a real mess right now in the US. I was talking to a woman who works at a dispensary in Michigan (went full recreational last November), and it blew my mind when she told me that EVERYTHING is cash due to federal laws. I have no idea how you'd go about paying sales taxes, etc, in cash, let alone the logistics of paying employees in 100% cash. She said she was always nervous, as a couple dispensaries had been targeted for robberies as everyone knows they're all cash, and likely lots of it.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

It's probably the best episode of the series, really. It dives into how the federal government placing marijuana as a schedule 1 drug (for comparison, COCAINE is a schedule 2 drug!)  has desperately cut off lines of credit for these would be business owners and the over-regulation at the state level to compensate has made it impossible for those little guys to compete. You have to have serious money to play in the world of legalization and its led to the black market being alive and well.

I'll reiterate for those who have not watched it, this is a remarkable series that looks at the world of drugs from a really unique lens. Go watch it! You won't regret it.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Romier S said:

Sweet, I’m in.

Please be good, please be good, please be good. 

Rose + I adored the Hill House series. I hope they can live up to the high bar from it. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched the “Social Dilemma” documentary on Netflix. Utterly terrifying dive into the manipulation behind the technology and social platforms we use everyday. It just reinforces my view that Social media will be the end of us and our collective society.

19 hours ago, Romier S said:

I watched the “Social Dilemma” documentary on Netflix. Utterly terrifying dive into the manipulation behind the technology and social platforms we use everyday. It just reinforces my view that Social media will be the end of us and our collective society.

It's definitely well done.  I like they way it breaks down attention as the commodity moreso than data.  The fact that you can now microtarget so unbelievably effectively is still a little unbelievable, and I think we've started to see what happens when it gets used for evil and not just profit. 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:49 AM, Romier S said:

I was excited about watching this and only had a chance to get through part of it. It turns out it’s depressing enough I wasn’t that disappointed to finish it later. 

It reminded me, way back before we started the fundraising here and when the forum had no identity or skin, I wondered if the right path to take would be abandoning the forum software and simply making a Facebook group. So glad I never shared that and it was only a fleeting idea. Being able to spend time here and avoid all of that other bs is priceless. 

• Like 3

There is a new Jurassic World animated series on Netflix called Camp Cretaceous (so what period is it?) that is appearing in the kids section. 

I thought “oh, that could be cool, a summer camp with Dinosaurs.”

Based on the trailer it seems like it is a way to make kids deathly afraid of dinosaurs.