Potter book titles in terms of idle curiosity amongst fans. And while

it seems like a new sure-thing title pops up every day, the latest one

certainly caught our eye. According to various sources the next

installment of George Lucas' epic will be Star Wars: Episode III -

Revenge Of The Sith.

Apparently reports are circulating that this subtitle was emblazoned on

a couple of Lucas' early drafts of Episode III. Furthermore, according

to Register.com (a website devoted to registering web addresses),

http://www.revengeofthesith.net is owned by Lucasfilm LTD.

While all of this "evidence" is quite convincing on its own, the astute

Star Wars fan (read geek) will quickly point out that 'Revenge' is a

favorite with Lucas. Back in 1983, he used it when he titled Episode VI

Revenge Of The Jedi. Obviously, Lucas later settled on Return Of The

Jedi, reasoning that Jedi wouldn't succumb to the emotion of revenge.

However, he waited so long to make the change that there were a few

theatrical posters sent out with the title Revenge Of The Jedi - worth

a pretty penny today, by the way.

So, will Lucas resurrect 'Revenge' for the new trilogy or is this just

another in a long line of near misses? Only time will tell...

Originally posted by J.Fo@Oct 13 2003, 08:07 PM

I thought you were staying away from spoilers, boy! Don't you be startin' no rumor mill, here or I'm going to have to spoil more Buffy and Angel tidbits that shake a wooden stake at.

You hear me, foo'? :)

yea I been naughty I been reading the ep III spoliers on a reg basis

This sounds like an obvious placeholder. Just as both "Blue Harvest" and "Revenge Of The Jedi" did a wonderful job of confusing the papparazzi and bootleg tie-in merchants (respectively) for RotJ, this could well do the same thing for III.

It sounds far too much like the vaguely-plausible nonsense that we've heard from fanboy rumour for years on every SW release. Its even got "Of The" in it, for goodness sake.

Well the titles have followed a pattern.

If you look at the titles 'A New Hope' and 'The Phantom Menace' you'd note both are vague descriptions of a specific character. The New Hope being Luke, the Phantom Menace being Darth Sideous.

Now with 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Attack of the Clones' you've got two titles descriptive of an active event, and "Strike" and "Attack" both being verbs, and both being words of a quite harmful nature.

So then, with 'Return of the Jedi' being a descriptive title in regard to the movement of a certain party (it its case, the Jedi) then it's not overly naive to expect the title of Episode III to follow the same pattern. 'Revenge of the Sith' would therefore be the most blatant juxtaposition against the third (or sixth) film's 'Return' title. 'Rise of the Empire' is also a fan favourite, and again fits the pattern of the titles.

This fact of course, in light of most rabid fanboys knowing the title pattern, is probably what fuels this story of 'Revenge of the Sith' possibly being Episode IIIs title so much, and has done since before even Phantom Menace went into production.

Enjoyed the prequels as much as I have, I'm still waiting to see if there's an exact point for their stories to even exist as films. I know next to nothing about Episode III and don't really get interested until the first teaser appears, which is still a year away.

Daniel

PS: Iain, have you watched the documentary on disc 4 of the Indy DVD box set? Spielberg sports a nice Blue Harvest baseball cap whilst seen directing Temple of Doom's bridge scene. :)

Originally posted by Daniel Brecher@Oct 14 2003, 12:11 PM

Iain, have you watched the documentary on disc 4 of the Indy DVD box set? Spielberg sports a nice Blue Harvest baseball cap whilst seen directing Temple of Doom's bridge scene. :)

Not seen that yet, no - having been away for the whole weekend the 5-minute snippet of Raiders is all I've caught so far. Someone was actually making replica Blue Harvest caps a while back; I meant to get one.