LCVG

Max Payne 2

Sam P

With the arrival of Max Payne 2 drawing so near, what are your feelings towards this 3rd Person shooter? Anyone buying for sure?

I enjoyed the first one, but only up to a point. You can get me to bullet time dodge/jump into a room full of bad guys only so many times before I die of boredom. Not much of a plot, not much love for the characters and nothing made me want to play through a second time. Once I got past the novelty of the bullet time mechanics things were pretty standard issue.

However, even with that said I feel very curious how this sequel will turn out. All the previews suggest it will be more of the same - probably just a bigger/badder version of the original. Which isn't a bad formula, but nothing that'll distinguish it as great. The characters will probably be more developed and there'll be an interesting plot twist or two but that's as far as my prediction will dare.

If nothing, I want to give it a try.

You guys?

I'm waiting for a demo, not least because I can only just run the first one with the details all on maximum, and so the XBox release may make more sense for me. I kind of lost interest towards the end of the first one too, but it is one of the few games I really bothered getting to the end of, so it must have done something right.

Back on the first one, did anyone bother, or even manage, to get anywhere on New York Minute? I couldn't do the second (subway) level even when I tried it.

Still haven't played the first one through yet because I refuse to pay the $30 they're still asking for it around here. I expect a nice sharp price drop with the release of the second, which is fine by me. I really liked the demo though. The bullet time was a lot of fun to play with.

Real reason I'd like to get it though is to install the kung-fu mod and give that a whirl. Oh yeah baby!

Back on the first one, did anyone bother, or even manage, to get anywhere on New York Minute? I couldn't do the second (subway) level even when I tried it.

Is New York Minute the ultra hard mode?

I never bothered playing the game again, once I beat it on normal (or whatever the Max Payne equivalent of normal is.)

Sort of. Everything had silly names, but as well as Normal (the only initial option, until you complete normal), hard and stupidly hard, there was this New York Minute mode that was specifically aimed at speed runs - you got a time breakdown at the end of the level, weren't allowed to save during a stage at all, and only started with a time limit of 60 seconds, gaining an extra couple back with every kill. So, you needed to rack up the kills and leg it through at full pelt. Very difficult indeed.

Picked it up today. Played through the first 2-3 levels. A couple of points:

-Engine is just as optimized as the first game. Runs silky smooth on my rig.

-The Havok physics engine is very impressive. It adds a great layer of realism missing from the first game. Firefights are are super intense with crates, bottles, barrels etc etc all reacting to being shot or run into. (there was a firefight where where I shootdodged forward through 2 barrels to put a few bullets right into 2 enemies skulls.)

-The game has some of the best ragdoll physics I've yet seen. Very rare instances of enemies ending up in wierd positions and the slow-mo death cutscenes are really impressive.

-The bullet time and shootdodge have been split into two moves. Doing a shootdodge (ie jumping to the left, forward, back or right while shooting) no longer drains your bullet time meter. Both moves can be combined into one button and combo'd for various different moves.

-NPC AI now joins you in various gunfights and so far Ive not noticed any acts of stupidity (besides just jumping right into the fight).

-The gritty cutscenes are back and Max is just as heavy handed as ever.

-The game still feels very much like the first one and with that could become a bit repetitive like the first though so far everything feels more polished and Im liking what Ive seen.

More to come as I play along...

I am unsure which version I will buy. Those I know with the game say it is no more demanding on the PC than the first game, which is nice to hear. The PC Version does not hit UK stores until the 24th of this month. The console versions street here on the 5th of December, and there's only ?5 difference between the PC and X-Box incarnations at Amazon UK, but I do wonder how the box version will be for accurate targeting and general control.

Daniel

-The bullet time and shootdodge have been split into two moves. Doing a shootdodge (ie jumping to the left, forward, back or right while shooting) no longer drains your bullet time meter. Both moves can be combined into one button and combo'd for various different moves.

So this means that you can shoot-dodge in regular time? Hmm, that sounds awfully hard to aim...

Daniel,

I feel largely the same way. I'm not sure the consoles will offer enough aiming control. So much of the Max Payne experience is being precise - I think for that reason alone I'll stick to PC.

Picked this up today, loving it so far, the gameplay pretty much seems about the same so far, but this game definatly feels more polished, the graphics are very nice as well.

When you shootdodge, it is in bullet time, but it doesnt drain bullet time, you can aim very easily..

I don't know how anyone could possibly play Payne with a console, I tried it after beating the PC version and it just felt so akward compared to using a mouse/keyboard, I am loving this game so far, I am glad I picked it up after not being sure about a purchase...this game does look sweet and runs smooth.

I was thinking the same thing, until I saw the Min/Rec specs at the Official Web Site

I've got the game running nicely a P3700mhz with a Geforce 3 64mb card. Mind you some of the niceties have to be turned off (shadows, high texture detail, AA etc..) but its running very nicely at 800X600. I do agree however if you want the full experience graphically (and lack a powerful enough PC) you'll want to wait for the Xbox version of the game.

Have you completed it yet?

Nope, chapter 3 part II currently (played the hell out of it last night). Not sure when the end is coming but so far I'm liking the sequel FAR more than the first game. The objectives are pretty much the same (ie shoot the bad guy) but the level design is so much improved it doesn't get anywhere near as tedious or boring.

There are loads of scripted events in the game thus far. Several scenes in the police station are very impressive (including a locked up bum puking all over the floor and the poor cop having to clean it up).

MINOR GAMEPLAY SPOILER (NO STORY)!!!

Another sequence has Max shooting a perp out of a 100 story high window. As he falls he hits 2 wooden planks and some paint cans sitting on a window cleaning catwalk which thorws the cans into the air and planks fall adjacent to our soon to be dead customer. This really shows off the ragdoll physics (not too mention makes you feel sorry for when the poor guy hits the ground:D).

Also the TV shows from the first game make a return in the sequel along with a slew of new Max Payne programming. Dick Justice being my favorite (Its a show about a cop who had his wife and child killed and is seeking revenge. Self-referential a bit much? ;) )

MINOR SPOILERS

Another sequence has Max listening to a recording of his phone calls taken during an enemy stake out of his apartment. One phone call in particular deals with Max calling a phone sex service. (Max is a tad wierd).

The graphic novels scenes are even more gritty (even going so far as to show a sex scene now). Oh and Mona's hot

SPOILER (STORY)!!!

Also you get to play as Mona's through several levels. She plays almost exactly like Max but gets access to a pretty bad ass rifle.

Also the dreaded dream sequences are back but I'm sure EVERYONE will be happy to know that they are no longer "dreaded" in fact they are extremely well handled. Instead of endless mazes and "thin as paper" lines of blood that you need to balance yourself on, the dream sequences play like any other level in the game. The exception being that each dream sequence is accompanied by a fantastically implemented blur and distortion effect.

These sequences serve to do what the first game so desperately tried to accomplish (and failed miserably at doing). They let you get into the head of Max Payne and see just how out there he really is.

So far Max Payne 2 is a very impressive follow-up to the first game. It doesn't differentiate itself from the first game greatly, in fact at times it feels almost exactly like its predecessor. However the improvement in level design, inclusion of the havok physics engine, improved dream sequences and overall ramping up of the games visual accuity really helps to make this a better game. Im sure Remedy must of thought, "If its a little broke, just fix whats needs fixing..leave the good stuff alone!"