LCVG

Rebel X

Angry the Clown

This article posted a few days ago at IGN X-Box raised some intrigue in suggesting all three Factor 5 Rogue Squadron games could be X-Box bound in late 2004. It is also written with the belief that Bioware will be handing over the Knights of the Old Republic license to Obsidan Entertainment for production of the sequel.

Daniel

Its already been denied by Factor 5, who pointed out that contrary to XBox fanboy assumption their Gamecube Rogue Leader has sold by the bucketload already, and they feel no need to drop GC development. They do have XBox dev kits as well, but not so they can abandon their GC cash cow.

Are there really a decent number of Star Wars fans out there who desperately want to pay $50 for a Rogue Leader game, but not the $100 it would cost them to buy both the currently available one and a Cube to play it on, and avoid waiting 12 months? The Rogue Leader engine is so heavily based on the abilities of the ATI chipset I can't think this would be an easy port anyway.

who pointed out that contrary to XBox fanboy assumption their Gamecube Rogue Leader has sold by the bucketload already

:lmfao:

Please tell me somebody actually said this exact phrase. It's like the perfect world where Brian clones are the PR reps for every game company ;).

Well, on the IGN Forum, the editor commented "We'd like to assume that the success of Star Wars games on the Xbox, especially KOTOR, has made Factor 5 rethink its current position and move on to better sales and a more profitable future."

To which Factor 5's president said "This "News" is just a rumor of IGN Xbox. I've stated multiple times, we were just developing technology for both Xbox and PS2. As long as the GameCube is good enough as a base, we'll prefer it over the other two platforms as the target-platform for our games. It's not a secret, that we prefer developing our games exclusively for a platform. This christmas will show, if the GameCube can stay this console - I have high hopes because of the recent price-cut.

We'll see a bit more clear early next year."

So not quite the XBox fanboy slapdown I portrayed, but not exactly fence-sitting either. By the way, has KOTOR even come close to out-selling Rogue Leader yet? That thing sold by the boatload on release, giving even the 1st party titles a good run for their money.

While we're on the subject, the fact that this sat next to a claim that IGN know that Lucas is going to release the Original Trilogy to DVD in 2004 seems to indicate how many containerloads of salt we should be using.

That's a good question, Dave.

I suspect the comment was directed towards people who believe it has to come over because they believe it couldn't have sold well on the GameCube?

I think an unfortunate result of rampant fanboyism in the videogame arena has made it difficult for people to recognize that enjoying one's console of choice or constructive criticism of a company doesn't make one a fanboy.

It's an interesting -- though delicate -- subject and one that merits further consideration by all of us. IMHO.

-j

Originally posted by PoisonJam@Oct 14 2003, 03:57 PM

Why does hoping that a quality game on another system makes it over to your system make one a fanboy?

Absolutely nothing. I've no problem with anyone wishing for a release on another platform as well, and generally wish less stuff was platform exclusive too. What I meant by fanboys is the suggestion that Factor 5 should be moving to the XBox because its the only way they'll sell any games. They've done very well on the Cube, and its only if that changes that we are going to see them abandon it.

Dave, I'll quote the original IGN story that sparked the "fanboy" comment from Factor 5:

Factor 5 rethink its current position and move on to better sales and a more profitable future.

As has been stated already, Rogue Leader was a big seller on the GC launch. Saying that it could have "better sales" on the Xbox as a three year old rehash is a bit of a fanboy comment from IGN in my book.

Oh, I see. Yes, the quote you..er..quoted is indeed infuriatingly smug and would deserve the "fanboy" label in my opinion, absolutely. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't trying to be difficult, I just read the first post in the thread and thought "Wow, wouldn't that be cool if the RL games came to the Xbox?", and then I read the second post and found what I thought was that exact sentiment described as "Xbox fanboy assumption." I didn't realize that the fanboy assumption was that the games HAD to come over to the Xbox because they didn't/couldn't sell well on the Gamecube.

I agree that is fanboyism at its worst. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

That is an interesting comment from IGN. I wonder though, how sales of both Starfighter games on Xbox compared to RL on GC, since they are similar types of game.

Maybe there has been some heated "discussions" between the IGN Xbox staff and GC staff, and this was to add fuel to the fire? :)