LCVG

Anyone else love kill bill?

Darius

I exited this movie in amazment and I am greatly looking forward to volume 2. I'm glad to see that Tarentino seems to be back on track after jackie brown. The commercials and trailers did a horrible job of capturing this movie and I'm glad I went just based on his previous works. Just wanted to see if anyone else was impressed or not. Either way I'd like to hear what you think.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it a WHOLE lot more than I thought I would...and that is saying something. I just expected it to be overhyped and average, but I have the itch to see it again now, and I will surely see Vol. 2.

What is really funny is that QT has called it the "ultimate fanboy film," and really the only people trashing the film are the fanboys who think they are above all of it by calling it a "rehash" of old films. What everybody else points out is that it is an obvious labor of love, and that love of cinema just gives the film electricity and freshness.

Glad to hear everyone is liking it.

I contemplated seeing it last weekend, but decided against it. I like QT stuff but somehow I would feel better to be left hanging on a DVD rental than at the theaters. I'm an impatient guy and leaving me with an unfinished story tends to put me off. Less so if it's just a rental.

I know, I know. Kinda childish. I'll go see it soon.

Originally posted by Darius@Oct 14 2003, 09:01 PM

I exited this movie in amazment and I am greatly looking forward to volume 2. I'm glad to see that Tarentino seems to be back on track after jackie brown.

Ack! Jackie Brown's a great movie. If you ask me, Tarantino never lost track in the first place :)

But yeah, I really liked Kill Bill. It's going to be rough waiting until February for the finish.

I'm planning to head down into London and see it tomorrow morning. I'd honestly had little intention of seeing the film, but so many friends in the US along with Ebert's gushing review have been prodding me into checking it out, so check it out I shall, and it should be quiet at 11am tomorrow which is what I'd prefer.

I like Tarantino films ok (Jackie Brown being my favourite as it happens), but I've never been interested in anything I've seen regarding Kill Bill. I'm curious to see what I make of it. (a quick train ride into London is also excuse to see what games and music are on sale at numerous major record stores. :) ).

Daniel

Guest MrDarthVader

Come February, it could become Tarantino's best film in my mind. Jackie Brown is my current favorite (although I can understand why some people can't stand it) of his films... but, as a long-time admirer of Japanese culture, this film just oozes with western style that we haven't really seen here in America. It's something close to Quinten and it shows.

I don't know, I didn't care for it ;)

I wanted to, but it was just missing something. It had tons of style, nice setups, the Go-Go girl was just killer, but it didn't light me up. I think QT missed the heart of what martial arts and all those old films are always about: respect and honor. These characters may fight like Samurais on crack, but they were pretty 2D on dialogue and not a one of them comprehended the base Japanese value of honor (not that I could see). Especially not the main char, she was a disgrace...

Two parts I did like very much though, wish there were more of these and less fountains of blood:

* The $75 for 20 mins guys. Classic QT: creepy, funny, little sick.

* The Sake guy and Sushi master's first intro. Just too funny for words.

Also, did anyone notice this?

****SPOILER****

In the anime scene, the guy that actually kills O-Ren's Father uses a katana and has a funky blue ring on his finger. She never kills this man as far as we know and he is obviously some kind of assasin. At the end of the movie we see Bill behind Sophie petting her hair. He has a very similar ring on his finger. So did Bill kill O-Ren's Father, and if so, why hasn't she ever come after him?

Darth,

The friend I saw Kill Bill with is a huge Battle Royale fan, he's been on me to watch/read/absorb as much of that as I can. I'll have to check it out, just the premise doesn't do much for me. I don't mind violence, but too much of it turns me off as was in KB.

I'll have to give KB another shot on DVD, just a little too overpowering on the first viewing. Hopefully the marketing mavens will release vol.1 just before vol.2 hits theaters.

Guest MrDarthVader
Hopefully the marketing mavens will release vol.1 just before vol.2 hits theaters.

Let's hope they are evil enough to pack-in a free ticket to vol 2 with the DVD. That would encourage me to pick up Vol 1, Vol 2, and the eventual "Uber" edition. :D

Saw it this weekend with my GF and we both loved it! She said: " I CAN"T WAIT FOR PART 2!!!".

I'm a big Tarantino fan, so I expected I was gonna like it, but my girlfriend loved it. Definitely a good flick and highly recommended.

We'll see how Vol. 2 is, but as it stands Kill Bill might replace Reservoir Dogs as my favorite QT film. And that's saying a lot 'cause I LOVE Reservoir Dogs.

I can't wait to get Vol. 1 in my HT. :shock:

Originally posted by Snakefish@Oct 15 2003, 08:23 AM

but they were pretty 2D on dialogue and not a one of them comprehended the base Japanese value of honor (not that I could see)

****SPOILER****

I thought the part at the end when lucy liu apologized for her earlier mark that she hit the honor thread pretty good.

I loved this movie. I'm a fan of all QT movies. As it stands after one viewing, Kill Bill would force a 3-way tie for my favorite of his with Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. I really like Reservoir Dogs, his other 3 films I just adore.

As for Kill Bill, I wanted to give credit to The RZA for a GREAT soundtrack. His work on the film Ghost Dog was terrific and Kill Bill continued that trend. The scene with the Nurse whistling (a theme from an old Hayley Mills flick, according to Ebert) had me grinning the way it was a sound cue.

The RZA has produced some classic albums - Wu-Tang Clan's "Enter the 36 Chambers" and GZA/Genius "Liquid Swords" being the 2 most notable. Most of his work breathes martial arts flick mentality, and I'm glad he was given the opportunity to work on Kill Bill.

Well I saw it this morning and was pleasantly surprised by how much I did enjoy it. It's really just a movie in every sense of the word, but one that still expertly refrains from patronizing the viewer. Absurd, but inspired.

It felt its length (to me at least), and I feel it was a wise move to have split it into two because much more would have been utter overkill and my head would have exploded. As a standalone movie, I don?t think it?s pure genius, but when February comes and I can see the rest of it, we?ll see. There?s a lot of love put into the movie and that?s really evident throughout. There?s a lot of energy that really rubs off and I liked that.

I did appreciate how Tarantino again proved that he never willingly tries to show gratuitous violence on screen uncut in any way, despite what the media (especially here in the UK) continues to believe. So much of the violence in Reservoir Dogs was what you think you saw, but didn't. Dogs showed of the consequence of violence and rarely the act itself directly before the viewer. To have turned to black and white (and that inspired anime sequence) to reduce the shock value in the two most bloodthirsty scenes In Kill Bill was not only creative, but very smart too.

Oh, I also joined the legions who walked directly into a record store to by the CD immediately after viewing the film. :)

Daniel