LCVG
GreenMonkey

A Song of Ice and Fire - Game of Thrones - HBO Series

Right, but according to what they are saying (right now at least), they are targeting one season for each book. So is 10 hours enough to do any of the books very well?

A full 22-episode normal network season would have more time. But they'd butcher the story much worse. At least HBO will do the job with 10 episodes, even if some stuff gets trimmed.

22 hours may be too much time to make what works as a book into a good series. I wish they would have gone with a 13 episode order though, just to make sure they don't rush too much or cut anything significant. And so, of course, I have to be thankful that they didn't go the other way and only order 6 episodes.

You have to figure too that at least 25-50% of the characters are likely on the chopping block. I mean the book just spreads itself so thin the first 200 pages just getting all the characters on the radar. Eventually, that's part of the richness of story, but you could find better ways to balance the characters with the story (for example, only stay with the Starks and Robert/Circe/Tyrion/Jamie for 2 episodes then expand a bit each time.) Like cutting out Jon Snow for the first half of the season and toning down a lot of what goes on at the wall (it'll scale up in the later seasons of course.)

Behold the incomparable Peter Dinklage as the incomparable Tyrion Lannister:

70b95fb5f84bf8f05981653a26f49c17723ae121.jpg

More casting sneak peeks here:

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2010/09/asides/an-aside-images-from-hbos-a-game-of-thrones-tv-show/

I'll be honest, I felt that the books slowly turned into a ho-hum series, but this adaptation has me excited!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

The latest stuff Martin has posted includes a 10 minute making of that aired after the Boardwalk Empire season finale and a 3 minute trailer from a week or so before that. We also finally have an air month - April. The footage they have shown in the trailer and the documentary has raised my expectations on it. I'll be very glad if this manages to achieve the quality of The Walking Dead adaptation. And speaking of that...when it gets closer we should definitely make a spoiler thread so I don't say the wrong thing again :).

I really enjoyed the premiere. I've not read any of the books so I'm going into this one a bit blind. HBO has a nice viewers guide to keep track of all of the houses/characters etc.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/

There's just a ton of introductory material in the opening episode. I can see some being turned off by the "well nothing really happened until the end" narrative but coming into this cold, I thought the producers did a heck of a job introducing the main players without being too confusing in the process.

Some positives:

- Sean Bean. Nothing else really needs to be said.

- Voluptuous woman. Great to see a show that has some women with actual curves instead of chicken bone super model types.

- The Walkers are pretty cool looking and I'm eager to see how that part of the story plays out. The opening of the episodes was quite tense!

- Great cliffhanger. I knew it was coming but it didn't make it any less "scumbag" when it happened.

- Love the sliminess of Viserys. The "I would let all 40,000 of them fuck you" line was interesting. ;)

- Production value was stellar as usual for HBO. I've been watching the nonsense that is Camelot (seriously, it's a BAD show) on Starz and after watching an house of Game of Thrones you immediately see and feel the difference.

Head scratcher moment:

- The Lanisters - dude your sister? Really? Ewwwww.

I really enjoyed the premiere. I've not read any of the books so I'm going into this one a bit blind. There's just a ton of introductory material in the opening episode. I can see some being turned off by the "well nothing really happened until the end" narrative but coming into this cold, I thought the producers did a heck of a job introducing the main players without being too confusing in the process.

I have not read the books either, but I probably will now. Didn't find it confusing at all, and thought they did a great job. From looking at that site, there are still plenty of people to be introduced.

- Sean Bean. Nothing else really needs to be said.

He was born to be in Fantasy movies/tv shows. He just fits. He also didn't die in the first episode which is a plus for his career. :D

Great first episode!

Peter Dinklage (predictably) ruled and the actress who played Arya was perfectly cast. And that's from a crop of well-cast characters.

The first episode pulled in 4.2 million viewers over the three airings Sunday night. Not necessarily stellar numbers but still positive. I hope it holds well over the coming weeks (well, grows would be even better).

The other good news is...it has been renewed for season 2! Looks like they will move to A Clash of Kings for that season. It has been a while since I have read the series. I remember most of what is in store for this season but then I think a lot of what I remember is from the 3rd book.

Yep those numbers are HBO regular. Doesn't include viewers on the rest of the HBO channels that night or last nights airings on every HBO. Great thing about stations like HBO and AMC is they can show the episodes a lot to pull more people in.

Good news is the renewal!!!!!

4 books, all available for the Kindle (and fairly cheap iirc). They are:

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

And the 5th book, A Dance with Dragons, will be out (well, it is supposed to be at least) on July 12. I won't believe that until I have it in my hands and am reading it, but even Martin himself has posted that date so...