LCVG

Ever have these kinds of friends?

Dimness

I have several friends that hate anything new about gaming. They hate 3-D gaming, and think it's the worst thing. That same friend of mine hates all the Final Fantasy's from VII on out. Why? Cause he says it's Sci-Fi, not fantasy.

Got any friends like that that can't think "outside" of the box?

:)

Keep in mind, they're still my friends. :)

Sounds like a job for SNK.

To be fair, some people really don't get on with 3D. I had an especially painful hour a while back watching Caroline attempt to control Dragonriders Of Pern on the DC, which uses the Resident Evil controls. Thank the Lord she wasn't being asked to shoot things in a hurry, as she just really struggled with it. On a 2D game, you just push in the direction you want the character to go, and its much simpler.

Mind you, closer to what you're referring to is that, I used to have a mate at college that insisted that surround sound films were a pointless distraction, and he didn't want sound to ever come from the direction of the TV. If he can't have surround vision then he just found the sound doing it annoying.

Sounds like a job for SNK.

Yeah. You know you're really into 2D games if you're shelling out $300+ for NeoGeo AES carts or $30-$200+ for MVS carts. :D

Seriously though, there's still a lot of fun to be had in the 2D realm of gaming, and I have a special place in my heart for the beauty of well-done 2D "pixel-pushed" games. 2D, 3D, 2D-style 3D, etc. these should all be tools to the game developer, using what best fits the direction they want to take the game.

Seriously though, there's still a lot of fun to be had in the 2D realm of gaming,

I think a return to 2D on the major home consoles is way overdue, in fact. 3D is fun, don't get me wrong, and it's something I adapted to, but I would kill for another 2D Mario title. The camera problems almost always make it way more difficult than it should be. Even superlative titles with good camera can go a bit south at times.