LCVG
Chris F

Sony Playstation 3 Tech Issues Thread: Discuss Hardware/Software Issues Here

For anyone with the IR2BT Bluetooth/Infrared addon to allow your IR remote control the PS3 during movie viewing - the bug where you had to turn on the PS3 manually, by inserting the disc, or by using a controller - is over. I never bothered to have my unit modified to corrrect this issue.

With the latest firmware upgrade the work around methods are no longer needed. Using my Harmony remote to power everything up works like a charm now. Very nice.

For anyone with the IR2BT Bluetooth/Infrared addon to allow your IR remote control the PS3 during movie viewing - the bug where you had to turn on the PS3 manually, by inserting the disc, or by using a controller - is over. I never bothered to have my unit modified to corrrect this issue.

With the latest firmware upgrade the work around methods are no longer needed. Using my Harmony remote to power everything up works like a charm now. Very nice.

How does that work? I programmed my harmony to turn on the "PS3" which is suppose to turn on my tv to the proper vid, receiver to proper setting and the PS3, but I sitll have to turn on the PS3 with the disc or the controller for me to use the remote.

The latest patch kind of borked my PS3 at home. when playing a game that connects to the PSN, it will disconnect from the network 4 or 5 times randomly before staying connected. The shitty thing about this is that it is blipping my router as well and causing my entire network to drop. I updated my PS3 at the g/f's house and that one is fine. The only difference is that I did the update after MW2 told me I had to when starting up the game. The 2nd PS3 I just did it normally from the XMB. Anyone have this issue before.

-Dean-

That's funny. My brother just had a similar problem with his new Win7 laptop where whenever he connects to the network wirelessly, the router resets. I don't understand how such a thing could be possible.

Got a question for you all about swapping out PS3 HDDs. Basically, for Xmas I want to get a 2nd PS3 (slim one) for the downstairs and move the first one upstairs for the kids and as a media box. But I want to keep the HDD in the downstairs PS3 in the downstairs as it has settings, d/l content, a few movies, music, etc.

So can I take the HDD out of that old one, drop it in a new slim line PS3, and be good to go? Or will it reformat the entire drive costing me all the data? I originally swapped out this drive for the stock 20 GB one, so I know how to physically do it.

Anyone done this already or know how this works? Are there any other complications with swapping out a HDD on the new slim models?

How does that work? I programmed my harmony to turn on the "PS3" which is suppose to turn on my tv to the proper vid, receiver to proper setting and the PS3, but I sitll have to turn on the PS3 with the disc or the controller for me to use the remote.

I didn't see your post before. I use the harmony PS3 adapter, and my PS3 turns on perfectly fine with my Logitech remote. Or are you using the Nyko workaround?

Thankfully the new firmware fixed my network issues that my PS3 was having.

Zot,

Not sure if you will have to reformat since the Slim is different hardware than the launch unit. I wouldn't think that you would. If anything, you may just have to redownload any DLC.

-Dean-

Zot,

I read somewhere that it's unfortunately not that simple. I don't remember the entire process but I believe it basically required a backup, reformat and restore.

I didn't see your post before. I use the harmony PS3 adapter, and my PS3 turns on perfectly fine with my Logitech remote. Or are you using the Nyko workaround?

What DS9 said. The IR2BT works the same. I actually have the unit plugged into a USB port on my PC since I never power that down unlike my video game consoles. It works in tandem with my Harmony remote.

Yeah, I'm using the Nyko workaround. For an extra $50, I think I can live with turning on the system manually (I have to put in a disc anyways, right?)

Okay, whose brainchild was it to require a person to be signed into PSN in order to unlock trophies?!

Not uncommonly, I'll be in the middle of playing a game and suddenly "an error has occurred" and I'm no longer logged into PSN. Since I'm generally playing a single player game I generally really don't care.

However, I just finished Uncharted 2 tonight (great game certainly) and while I got the in-game medals for game completion - the trophies didn't unlock. That probably also explains how I manage to have the trophy for 100 headshots but somehow not the one for 20. The only commonality between those is that when I earned the in-game medal - I happened to be signed out of PSN. For the record, quitting the game, signing back in, and replaying the last chapter ALSO didn't unlock the trophy. At this point my only option is to probably delete the save files altogether and start all over (not a big deal since it's not like a 2nd run of Uncharted is out of the question).

Does it really matter? No. But it IS annoying as all get out.

That is weird Dave. I had a couple of sessions with Uncharted 2 where I wasn't signed in and I got trophies. I just did my normal sync afterwards and they appeared on my PSN account.

-Dean-

I think my second PS3 has died. It shut down in the middle of playing MGS 4 & now I can't start it up. I just get 3 beeps and a blinking red light. Can't eject the disc either. Could be it's just overheated. I'll try it again later, fingers crossed.

Another one bites the dust.

EDIT $149 for a damn repair, and that's only warrantied for 90 days.

This generation of hardware pisses me off.

Edited by Dan B.

Still no joy with the new firmware [3.15] fixing the freezing fault that has developed with my console since 3.01. I just threw in Oblivion, played for 5 mins then the audio hung. I lost music and sound effects beyond ambient sound effects (water running, birds chirping)... The ambience sounds stuck no matter where I went, and even on the menus. When I went to quit the drive locked up and repeatedly tried to read the disc... Usually it locks up like that during play itself.

Think I'm about ready to give up on it. Will have to buy a new PS3 in a year or two.

....Think I'm about ready to give up on it. Will have to buy a new PS3 in a year or two.

Saw your post in the other thread...everything you said is exactly what happened to mine. Totally pisses me off. From what I read on the net and other boards, Sony doesn't even admit there's a problem. I never had any issues at all with the unit until I did that update about two weeks ago. The first movie I played after the update was Up, right in the middle it froze, now that happens to anything I put in it, BRs DVDs Games, I have the 80gb b/c model that came with Motorstorm bought it late in 2007...and it wasn't a heavily used system, Mostly BR movies Probably about 20 over the past two years, and I only bought about 10 games for it in those two years.

This generation of Systems is a pain in the A$$ my 360 went twice, and now my PS3.

To be fair the defect rates for the PS3 are no where near that of the 360. I'm sure that doesn't matter when it happens to you, of course.

Is there any setting on the PS3 that will prevent it from dumping all the way back to the XMB whenever you accidently hit the stop button on the PS3 remote? It takes several minutes to recover from a simple mistake!

For years, DVD players have allowed you to hit stop once with resumability, or twice to reset playback.

Why can't the PS3 do that? This is my most frustrating gripe about the system as a BD player.

Carlos.

I think it's an issue with Blu-Ray discs themselves. Some resume, and some do not. It annoys me too.

Yep, it's totally a BD authoring thing; for example, I pressed "stop" during Wallace & Grommit just yesterday & it went to the front-end of the disk.

Yeah the rocket scientists who came up with the Blu-Ray spec decided to leave that little feature out out. So we are stuck hoping the studios put it in there. Warner discs have it, and a few you need to use the bookmarking feature. Must be the same guys who came up with the new HDMI spec

I had three hard freezes with Assassin's Creed 2. No issues with any other game, and I had other issues with Creed too (background sounds occasionally cutting out, etc.) that lead me to hope that it's a software issue and not my PS3 getting hit by the firmware issues.