LCVG

iTunes for Windows

rustyjaw

Originally posted by Daniel Brecher@Oct 16 2003, 12:16 PM

Right. Just installed it. I like it a lot! Nice and clean, easy to navigate. Very pleased. Certainly a keeper!

Daniel

IIRC, the store part doesn't operate in Europe yet, right? I believe they are still working out the legalities.

Originally posted by Daniel Brecher@Oct 16 2003, 12:27 PM

That is correct. Hopefully they will sort that out sooner rather than later as I'd like to see how all that works. I can browse and listen to previews, but not purchase.

Daniel

I think they said early next year.

I love the store, all they need is more independent labels, but they said today that 200 indies are coming on board this month.

I noticed a bunch of Matador bands added just this week.

Shame it's all AAC though. Anyway at all to get that onto my wife's NetMD without resorting to just hitting play & record? :-/ She'll love the iTunes store, but not anything fiddly to get the music onto her MD player.

Let me start by saying that until very recently I had used MusicMatch Jukebox exclusively for the last six or seven years. Last month, however, I gave Winamp 2.9.1 a try and find it very much to my liking. It has a library (a must), is skinnable (a plus), and is and will remain free (I trust). However, it has no ripping capabilities like MusicMatch (I cuss).

Last night I downloaded, installed, and tried out iTunes, expecting it to blow both MMJB and Winamp out of the water, as most everybody has promised. Imagine the voice of Jerry Seinfeld when I say "What's the deal?".

It looks great, sounds good (compared to Winamp there was no noticable difference), has a clean and easy to use interface, but the library leaves much to be desired. With both MMJB and Winamp I can crunch the list down to just the artists, then drill down into the album, then into the specific list of songs. I could be called anally retentive when it comes to the organization of my songs, I suppose. This is where I feel that iTunes falls short. All I get for a library is one massive list, by song, of my entire collection. When you're talking about 4000+ songs this is a big deal.

Perhaps I'm missing something? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of integrated purchasing support, though I may or may not use it. I just don't understand what the hype is about. Is it as great as everybody says it is, or is it the fact that Microsoft's long-time rival allowed hell to freeze over and released their software for Windows?

With both MMJB and Winamp I can crunch the list down to just the artists, then drill down into the album, then into the specific list of songs.

If it's like the Mac version, there should be a little eye icon in the upper right that says 'Browse', if you click it a pane will open that has three categories, Genre, Artist, and Album. You can click on any name inside of those lists and get a listing constrained to that selection.

Also, the search box will do progressive finds, constraining the library list as you type, but that's not quite as useful when you know exactly what you're looking for.

EDIT: Not exactly the same thing, but iTunes (and the iPod) has a feature called "Smart Playlists" (maybe Winamp has them too, not sure) that lets you create a playlist based on rules, so you can create a list of songs that only contains tracks from a certain genre, that were added to your library between certain dates, that are over X minutes long and have a rating of X or more stars. You can filter on any category that you can list in the library window (including BP, bit rate, when you last played the song, how many times you've played it, file size, etc, etc).

Originally posted by EdR@Oct 17 2003, 09:19 AM

Not exactly the same thing, but iTunes (and the iPod) has a feature called "Smart Playlists" (maybe Winamp has them too, not sure) that lets you create a playlist based on rules, so you can create a list of songs that only contains tracks from a certain genre, that were added to your library between certain dates, that are over X minutes long and have a rating of X or more stars. You can filter on any category that you can list in the library window (including BP, bit rate, when you last played the song, how many times you've played it, file size, etc, etc).

I haven't seen a similar tool in Winamp but MMJB has the Auto DJ feature which sounds very similar. It's a very useful utility.

Perhaps the reason I'm so picky about my library is I always know what I want to listen to before I go browsing. I also tend to listen on a per-album basis, meaning that I rarely pick a few songs for my playlist. For this reason it's nice to easily find the artist, and album right away without having to scroll through a large list.

I'll give the Smart Playlists and the eye-icon thing a try tonight and see how it stacks up. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by DrunkOM@Oct 17 2003, 10:48 AM

:roll: I just discovered the Winamp Library. I've been looking for something like that.

Will either Itunes or Winamp autoupdate their libraries when files are added/changed?

You mean if you add a new file to the directory where you keep your MP3s? I don't think iTunes will do that (i.e. it doesn't monitor the directories to see if new files are there, or files are removed). But you can just drag files into the iTunes window and it will copy them into the directory where you keep your music and update it's list at the same time.

Does that make sense?