LCVG

Pac Man VS

heavy liquid

Looking interesting indeed!

However, I'd be curious if they have developed any new gameplay mechanics that go beyond the traditional chomp-chomp-chomp till you get everything routine. Sure, that's still fun, but not enough to keep people interested once the novelty of the remake has worn off.

If they have new ways to play, this could be very sweet. I mean, besides the multiplayer (which IS huge).

Maybe there is a mode where ghost players team up to run down the PacMan player?

I think that's the entire point, Bryan, actually. The gist of the game, from what I've seen, is that the ghosts play on the TV and have only their own viewpoints as seen in the screenies. The Pac-Man player is using the GBA to avoid them all and gets the classic Pac arcade screen.

I'm looking to get this if I pare down my bills enough to get a GBA just because I think it's an awesome use of the GBA/GC connection. Also gotta start saving those GBAs up for FF:CC or something :P.

I think that's the entire point, Bryan, actually. The gist of the game, from what I've seen, is that the ghosts play on the TV and have only their own viewpoints as seen in the screenies. The Pac-Man player is using the GBA to avoid them all and gets the classic Pac arcade screen.

Wow! That would be a stupendously good use of the GC-GBA connection indeed!

• 1 month later...

I was in a gamestore today and asked if they had any demo disks. The clerk gave me (what I thought was) a demo of Pac Man Vs., but I think it's the full game. Coincidentally, my sister was visiting so I was actually able to play a multiplayer mode for once. One player uses the GBA and sees the entire board and the other GC players see a select portion of the screen (as in the screens above). The other ghosts are controlled by AI (if not controlled by another player). The GBA connectivity is more than a gimmick here, it really is an integral part of the game and takes Pac Man (a game I always considered rather boring) to a new level of fun. There are a number of different layouts to choose from. The only quibble is that the GBA Pac Man moves a trifle slower than the arcade version. If you like party games, this is a keeper.

I picked this title up yesterday for my 6 year old. Just need to get the cable to link the GBA to the GC and have it out with him. Only thing that worries me about this title is that I've never been good at playing any of the Pac-Man games without a joystick. Don't think I'm gonna like using the GBA d-pad for this.

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Dec 15 2003, 01:12 AM

I'm confused about this game. I searched for it yesterday at EBGames.com and nothing comes up...I was near an EB store today, so I went in to ask and no one knew anything about it...where is it being sold?

I know you probably don't have one close Ed, but WalMart is dumping these into these huge bins with other $19.99 or less GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 games.

Originally posted by adamsappel@Dec 14 2003, 11:26 PM

The GameCube exclusive disk comes free with purchase of Pac Man World 2 Player's Choice Bundle, R:Racing Evolution or I-Ninja. You should be able to pick it up wherever fine videogames are sold.

So is "VS" in the box, or a separate disc? I saw that game, but had no idea about the bundle...and given the puzzled looks on the faces of the EB employees, I'd guess they don't either.

I just went back to that gamestore (GameCrazy) and yes, I do have the full version. The game comes bundled inside the Pac Man World 2 case, but on a separate disk. I think with the other games, you get it in a separate paper sleeve, as I did. GameCrazy is also offering it as a bonus (among other available items) if you buy a membership in their VIP program ($19.99, but well worth it as you get added percentage for trade-ins and used prices) or pre-ordering any game. It sounds like you might have to point the clerks to the Nintendo.com page explaining the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got this for Xmas and I have to tell you that I absolutely love it.

Basics:

First off, it's more than a bit different than the original Pac-Man. I'll try to break it down for you. (Mind you, I only played the game today with my brother-in-law, but I found the 2 player game terrific.) Ok, the obvious stuff first. The game won't start at all until you plug a Gameboy Advance into the 4th controller port. No big deal there. Once you do, you go into the game options and choose how many points you want to play the game to, 7,000, 10,000, or 15,000. I recommend 15,000 for reasons you'll see in a bit. After that, you get to choose the "level" that you want to play. If you look at the screen shots above, you can see that each of the different boards looks different from the ghosts point-of-view. It's not just the same old sterile Pac-Man blue bordered worlds.

Gameplay:

Ok, after you have all of your options chosen you get to jump into the game. I really didn't know what kinds of twists they were going to put into the game, but I have to tell you that I was surprised with the changes that they put into the game to make it more interesting than one person chasing around Pac-Man. In the two player game, one person controls one of the ghosts, and the other two ghosts (which are grey colored) are "old ghosts." Basically, it seems as though the other ghosts will just go along and follow the same old types of patterns that they would follow in the older versions of the game. What is interesting, is that if the ghost that you are controlling touches any of the "old ghosts," they then become more intelligent and follow Pac-Man wherever he goes..... more like an actual human would. Some of the other things they have added are the fact that you can see how many pellets Pac-Man has left on the board, as well as a radar that lets you see where all of the other ghosts on the screen are.

Now, one thing that they show you on those screen shots, is the fact that you can see the dots that are remaining on the board. I haven't seen exactly at which point it happens... but after a certain amount of time or dots have been eaten, all of the dots on the screen disappear from the ghosts screen. Why is this important? Well, if you're "lurking" as a ghost... basically just trying to protect the last few dots that Pac-Man has yet to obtain... you won't be able to know where they all are after a certain point. This really makes you have to seek out Pac-Man, rather than just camping in a certain spot knowing that he has to come to you. I think this is a great touch to put into the game.

Another advantage that the ghosts have is their "home" area. Say you're a ghost and Pac-Man has just eaten a pellet.... you're stuck, right? Wrong. If you can actually make it back to your base, you can enter in there to wait out the time until the Power-pellet wears off. Now, this can't be put into use all the time... but hey... it's better than letting Pac-Man earn more points by gobbling you up when you're blue.

Enough about the ghosts, let's talk about Pac-Man. Ok, from the screen shots you can see that you're pretty much playing the game that we all know and love. There are a few interesting touches to the game that you do get over the basic old game, though. First off, when you grab a power-pellet, you get to see a little number over the head of the ghosts. So, if you're playing the 2-player game like I was... you can make a b-line for your friend and make him pay for the last time he got to you. Also, once you have a power-pellet and you eat one of the "smart" ghosts, when they get back into their "home", they come back out as the "old" ghosts again, making the other player go touch them to increase their intelligence again.

What else does that leave? Oh, yeah. The fruit. Well, the fruit only really benefits one character... the ghosts. When the ghosts "eat" the fruit, they get to see a larger portion of the board. Basically, they're view doubles in size and they get to see a much larger portion of the board so that they can better track Pac-Man down. It is only a temporary boost though. As far as I saw... it only lasts for about 20 or 30 seconds. Maybe not even that long.

So, how does the game end? Well, before I mentioned that you choose an amount of points to play to in each game. The person that starts the game out as Pac-Man starts with 1,600 points. After he is touched by a ghost, he loses 1,600 points to that player. So, say Pac-Man gets his score up to 2,100 and get's touched by a ghost. That ghost get's 1,600 of Pac-Man's points and Pac-Man drops back down to 500. At that point, those two players change controllers and the chaser... becomes the chased, meaning... they have to play as Pac-Man for the next board. The cycle continues until one person hits the point total that you chose to play to.

That pretty much sums up the game. It may not seem like much, but I sat there with my brother-in-law for an hour and a half laughing over and over as we found new strategies as to how we would go after one another.

Sounds:

Well, we pretty much have the standard Pac-Man sound effects here. The odd thing is that the voice of Mario (I believe Charles Martinette is his name) does all of the voice work for the game. He'll say thinks like "Pac-Man ate a Power-Pellet" or something to that effect. He'll also let you know that they're are 10 dots left for Pac-Man to eat. There isn't a ton there, but it's definately a voice that you know.

Graphics:

Hey, we're talking about Pac-Man here.... at least for the Gameboy Version. The things you see on the Gamecube version are decent. Basically it looks like the graphics for Pac-Mania with you in control of a ghost. Honestly though, graphics aren't going to be the reason why people play this game.

Conclusion:

When I heard about this game at E3, I thought it was an interesting idea, but I didn't know how entertaining they could make it. I'm pleased to say that I really enjoyed all of the extra touches that they put into the game and I'm extremely glad that I got this game as an Xmas gift. Any time that people will come down into my gaming area and want to play a game... this will be one of the first ones that I suggest. I highly recommend this title to those of you out there that are looking for a fun Multiplayer game... for any console.

Glen

My two sons and I are having a blast playing this. There are a lot of dimensions to this game. For instance, in a 3 player game, the 2 ghosts have to fight it out first to see which of them can get to the Clone first, because that greatly increases your chances of catching pac-man.

Also, the ghosts usually try to make it a priority to get to the fruit first, since the larger view that you get for a few seconds really makes it easier to track down pac-man.

We actually got my wife, who hates video games, to join us for a full 4-person game, and it was great. She wouldn't admit it to the boys, but I could tell she was having a really good time. The game is so easy to pick up, that anyone can become proficient fairly quickly.

At first, we had banned letting the Ghosts work together, but then we decided to let them collaborate, and it really makes much more fun.

I've got my kids incorporating the lingo from Rainbow 6 (which they aren't allowed to play or watch) into Pac-Man Vs. It sounds really funny to hear a ghost say, "I've got a tango near the top power-pellet."

There is a lot of strategy, too. If you are Pac-Man, you can try to lure the ghosts towards the power-pellet. Usually, because they are now human-controlled, you can bluff your way out of a tight spot by going near the power-pellet and waiting for the ghosts to scatter.

Also, when you are trapped by two ghosts, you can decide which one you want to catch you. This is critical when one of your opponents is ahead or close in points. When cornered, go for the ghost that has the least points.

Nintendo has got a success on its hands. Here's how I know:

My kids got all the following games for Christmas: Ratchet and Clank 2, SSX3, LOTR:TTT, Frogger Returns, the Gameboy Reader, and the Pac Man double pak.

They only game they want to play right now is Pac Man vs.

I really hope this release is a proof-of-concept, and that Nintendo will quickly release a version with online play (I know, dream on), larger maps, warps, invisibility, speed boosts, and whatever else they can dream up.

I would buy the broadband adapter in a heartbeat if could play this title online.

Carlos.

Danger,

In my opinion, Pac Man vs is worth $20 by itself.

That may just be me though.

Adam,

I guess they figure that you can pick up the Pac-Man collection for the GBA for $9.99 just about everywhere now. To me, Pac-Man would be pretty boring to play in this version. I honestly don't know if I could go back to playing Pac-Man the old way, where ghosts just run in set patterns.

Glen

In my opinion, Pac Man vs is worth $20 by itself.

I totally to agree.

I played this with three friends, two of whom were essentially non-gamers. We all had an absolute blast.

My kids got all the following games for Christmas: Ratchet and Clank 2, SSX3, LOTR:TTT, Frogger Returns, the Gameboy Reader, and the Pac Man double pak.

They only game they want to play right now is Pac Man vs.

And critics say Nintendo doesn't know what it's doing. This stuff is exactly why I've become a die-hard Nintendo fan.

Shawn