LCVG

True Crime: Streets of LA

Angry the Clown

Well, there was a "playable" demo on last month's PS2 mag, so its obviously not too far away.

I put playable in quotes though, as there wasn't much fun to be had - a quick drive through a an LA spookily lacking in traffic under a 30s time limit, followed by a shoot-out that I didn't feel I had any control over at all when I failed to beat the clock, or the worlds most unweildy 3D fighter engine when I did.

Uh oh. Maybe it will be delayed.

I just came across this:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/technology/031...logy-299994.htm

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Activision Inc., the second-biggest U.S. video-game publisher, should be barred from releasing "True Crime: Streets of L.A." because it illegally copies the works of author Robert Crais, according to his lawsuit.

Crais, whose novels include "L.A. Requiem" and "The Last Detective," claims that the video game lifted ideas from his books featuring a former Los Angeles Police Department officer Elvis Cole.

The author's suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, seeks a court order halting Activision's planned Nov. 4 release of "True Crime," destruction of all infringing works and unspecified monetary damages.

"'True Crime' is substantially similar to the Elvis Cole novels" and Crais believes Activision "copied protectible expressions," according the lawsuit.

Maryanne Lataif, spokeswoman for Santa Monica, California- based Activision, didn't immediately return a request for comment.