LCVG

Saboteur (new WW2 game from Pandemic)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the game is very ambitious and sounds interesting, reviews aside I like the sound of it, unfortunately a lot of great games get panned by reviews fairly or not and the problem with a title like this is it really needs a special push to reach it's audience, and it really feels downplayed and up against ridiculously great competition, with an akward release timing (no fault of theirs), so the scores just don't help, especially since scoring is extremely subjective. Still a 7 is potentially a fun experience, I can appreciate in a crowded marketplace (with a pile of unopeneds) that its tough to justify getting a game that's only a 7 average but still 7s > 5s or 4s by a wider margin than 4s vs 1s and 2s

Not a day one for me but I'm definetely going to try to find a space for this on my gaming pile, somehow

Absolutely no interest here. A bargain basement buy for me in the $20-25 range if even...

Don't you own/play like a bazillion titles? What would make this title seem so "absolutely" unappealing about this one in particular?

I guess maybe if you've played a lot of similar titles that you probably feel do the same thing, only better? ??

For me it's the fact that I still need to finish Dragon Age and start Brutal Legend, L4D2, and a whole bunch of titles I got on Black Friday (hell i still have some titles I got for next to nothing last black friday I still have not played) . Add in the fact that all reviews have been average and It's not a must buy at full price at launch title

Don't you own/play like a bazillion titles? What would make this title seem so "absolutely" unappealing about this one in particular?

It's Pandemic. Their games have been less than stellar this generation and I've not seen a single video or piece of media that has me remotely interested. That's a major part of it but then when I consider the huge array of titles I already have sitting here to play (Assassin's Creed II, Super Mario Bros Wii, God of War Collection, Brutal Legend, Left4Dead 2, Demon's Souls, Dragon Age) and the fact that I'll be getting Silent Hill Shattered Memories next week? Priority wise that game is above anything else I have on that list. Did I forget to mention that early 2010 is filled to the brim with meaningful releases? Right, tell me again why I should give a damn?

Just because I play a "bazillion" titles doesn't mean I spend $60 bucks on every pieces of software that hits the shelves (despite appearances). Not to mention that contrary to popular belief, I don't buy games that sit on my shelf unplayed. Very few games slip by unbeaten and if they do, I get there eventually. Every game on that list above will be completed in time and I would prefer to give them the attention over a seemingly average open world style game. A genre I'm not particularly fond of by the way. So this can wait until it's $20 bucks or below for me to give it a chance. I reached my shit open world game quota beating the original Assassin's Creed last week.:P

Edited by Romier S

Oh, I agree on the price point! For me this is $20 or less title that I'll keep an eye out for over on CAG.

I think for me, titles with historical settings (obviously this one being heavily dosed with fiction) and decent potential draw my attention. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that'll I'll finally find the next Mafia. I loved that game!

I didn't get to play it as much as I thought, and not going to have much time this weekend, but here are a few initial thoughts. I haven't read a single review so all of this could be just repeated.

- First impression is "Man, there's a LOT of nearly naked chicks in this game" the opening cutscene opens on a close shot of a stripper and the club is like your home base and they're just walking around everywhere.

- Second impression is "I wish the models were better". I know an open world game isn't going to have the same level of up close detail, and while I haven't played GTA4 for nearly a year, I don't think the models come close to comparing to that game. The lip movement is particularly bad.

- It seems to pretty much be GTA set during WW2. There's on open city, you drive around in cars, which you can steal, there's a fist fighting mechanic when you don't have a gun, you shoot people when you do, set off alarms which make the Nazis chase you and you have to hide or get far enough away for it to stop. The shooting mechanics are similar to Gears and there is also the ability to climb up buildings similar to Assassin's Creed. I haven't really explored much to see if you can just randomly climb buildings or if it has to be part of a mission.

- The look of the city IS very nice, and it's the setting that had me interested in the game to begin with. I love the look when it's nearly black and white, and the contrast to when you're in a colorful area.

- I don't know how the mission structure will end up being like, if you'll get missions to choose from, and side missions to do, but I'm assuming it will be like that. There's quite a lengthy prologue at the start to get things going, which included playable flashback scenes, and I think I've just gotten through that.

I don't think I'd drop $60 on it, but that's partially because I loose interest in open world games pretty quickly. $20-$30 though no problem.... maybe even $40.

Edited by DrunkOM

since there's the 2 for 1 sale at Best Buy and Future Shop this week I'm grabbing it as my freebie. It's the setting of the game that intrigues me most and I'll probably stop playing after a few hours but I'm like that with most games these days anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up for $20 at Best Buy today ($40 with a $20 Reward Zone cert that was about to expire) and you know what? It's not bad.

Now, it's no AC2, but that's a high standard to hold an open-world title too. I would liken this one to the original "Godfather" game, which I also enjoyed -- solidly made, and a decent premise goes a long way.

I'll post further thoughts as I get a little further into it...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late with more impressions -- holiday travel and work obligations kept me from getting much gaming in. But I've gotten about 12 hours into this one now. According to the stats, I'm exactly 50% done with the missions.

Although my overall impressions have diminished a little with more playtime, this is still a solid title. The biggest issue is simply a lack of much mission variety. Most all of the missions involve something to the effect of "go here, destroy this Nazi facility, get away, repeat." There are a few missions that require a more stealthy ap[rach or that vary the formula, but so far, not many.

That said, what is there is enjoyable and plentiful. Besides the regular missions, there is a ton of additional activities. Especially in the city, there is some form of German facility or equipment to destroy on every corner, ranging from unguarded propaganda speakers to lightly guarded floodlights and rooftop sniper nests to heavily guarded areas like checkpoints, AA guns and "occupation towers." You could -- and I have -- spent hours wandering the city destroying these, and I've still barely scratched the surface (20 percent done according to stats.) Unfortunately, while fun, this serves no real purpose. The ballyhooed "liberation" mechanic seems tied more to overall mission progress than any of the "ambient gameplay" activities. You could spend hours clearing out every sniper nest and propaganda tower in an area only to see it remain as oppressed as ever, but complete one key mission and the whole area suddenly explodes in color.

That said, the "liberation" motif and art direction is stunning. The black-and-white occupied areas, continually drenched in midnight and rain, with the only color the blood-red of the ubiquitous Nazi banners and German guards on every street corner, truly feel stifling and oppressive. The misery of occupied France is palpable. Destroy a Nazi facility and the response will be swift -- you better get away quick or the alarm will be raised, and you'll have a lengthy chase to get away. On the other hand, liberate an area and Nazis will still be there until you destroy all the installations, but once that happens, there's nary a German in sight except for an occasional lonely foot soldier, grumbling and looking over his shoulder for the Resistance. Destroy a German sniper nest and it could take the invaders minutes to respond, if they make it at all.

The art direction does lose some of its impact as you liberate more areas, returning color to the landscape, and the game begins to look more conventional. Still, it's good stuff.

The story is decent, not a serious look at WWII by any stretch, but a rollicking popcorn flick with characters that have just enough depth to make you care enough to pay attention. There seem to be some Indy-style plot twists coming. I can already predict that at least one character is going to double-cross me, maybe more.

Ah, but the Pandemic curse does rear its head. You'll occasionally get stuck in the environment, or find Sean twitching like an epileptic in the throes of a seizure as you try to plant a bomb only to have the game get confused about whether you can truly plant one in that particular spot or not. The controls overall are clunky -- for a game that obviously was inspired in many ways by "Assassin's Creed," the climbing is sub-par. Why do I have to jam on the "A" button every time I need to grab the next handhold? (However, the driving controls are some of the best I've ever experienced in an open-world title. An early bit had me swearing I was playing a racing game.)

A quick note on the "The Midnight Show" -- I haven't done all of the content yet, but the nudity does not seem out of place to me. It's confined to the the burlesque shows of the red-light district, which is perfectly in keeping with Paris in the 1940s (or today, for that manner.) I actually think it was a little silly to have this as "bonus" downloadable content -- it's perfectly in keeping with the setting and suitable for inclusion in an M-rated game.

At this point, would I pay $60 for this? No, not with all the other blockbusters on the market. But for $30, maybe even $40 if you're an open-world fan or intrigued by the concept, it's worth it. If you can get it for $20, it's well worth it. I honestly think this game would have been better received, and gotten better reviews, if it had been released in the spring with a little more polish and more of the spotlight to itself. It's no Assassin's Creed II, but it holds its own.

I have to agree with everything Brandon has said about the game. I picked it up at Best Buy's Boxing Week Sale for $39.99. Well it's no AC2. It does some really wicked things. The colour coming back is just one of them. It plays just like panademic's last greatest hit. Mercenaries 2.

Bottomline if you like sandbox games, world war 2 settings and topless girls. Then this is one game you can't miss. It's also based loosely on a true story.

Shocked to discover this afternoon that I've spent over 22 hours with this title. Still only 66 percent done with the missions and 33 percent done with the side stuff. It's far too easy for me to get distracted -- "Ooooh, a German sniper nest, I'll just take a second to blow it to Kingdom Come..." -- and a hour later I still haven't gotten around to the next mission.

Which, by the way, are getting a little more interesting. The last one I completed was a fun train-based one. For its faults, this one is still going to be a nice start to gaming in 2010...

I think a major problem for this game is that they allowed it to seem a little too generic (especially in terms of the cover art/title) - which is unfortunate given how many sandbox games there are now, my copy finally arrived today but it's now competing with 8 other titles for my attention :\

I am digging the music for it alot tho

Edited by OzzelsCousinFred

Just started playing this a bit more seriously this morning, I'm about 20% through the game's trophies now - it's got a great character intro flashback sequence, and I really like how they handle the interactive cinematic sections

On the ps3 in standard definition the game looks very very nice, and the M content is handled very tastefully

The climbing is a bit annoying at times, for sure. It's a well handled game so far, it's definetely an open world game and suffers from some of the issues open world games suffer from, but the setting and the style are great