LCVG

Anyone else have satellite radio?

kelley

I'm definetely a satellite radio convert, got a Sirius unit installed in my Jetta.....finally I was able to find a "radio" station that plays what I like! And hell its just not one but multiple. I took some pictures of the install and stuff today will post them tomorrow. I now just want to get back into the car and listen to the "radio"!

Oh yeah. Satellite radio rocks. I'm an XM user here - got two radios - one XM PCR which is hooked into my main stereo/home theatre system, and then a Delphi Roady for my car. Whenever I am in the apartment (except when I'm watching a movie or playing a game :D ) the PCR is playing, and since I got it (just picked it up last week), the Roady is on almost all the time whenever I am in the car. There's always something worth listening to on, and it has nearly eliminated my purchasing of CDs.

I love XM - I have a Delphi SkyFi car/home/boombox setup. I've driven from Alabama and Wisconsin and maybe only had it drop out for 5 seconds the whole time (while in the mountains) and then I used the boombox while up there camping in the middle of nowhere (well an hour or so outside the dells).

It has actually saved me a lot of money in CDs as I'm listening to it all the time so I'm never wanting for music. My favorite stations are Fred (early alternative), Special X (weird stuff :) ), 80s and XM Kids.

FYI On the Boombox I've added a real handle and changed out the speakers to improve the sound - even made a FAQ page that ishere.

I must admit i was pretty nervous as to if I would like it or even feel like it was worth the money, but damn I was so wrong.....drove out to my parents house(25min drive) and absolutely had no complaints. I really like listening to the comedy channel.

I'm looking to buy a unit for the home ASAP now :)

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

Have all of you installed the units yourself, or had them installed "professionally"? I've had a growing interest in Sat. radio since every friggin station I listen to in the morning insists on having a morning talk show. :roll:

Mike,

I did a Sirius tuner/antenna by myself, wasn't too bad at all. The biggest hurdle is probably routing the lead from the antenna. I've got a truck so the 3rd brake light is just above the rear window, right where the antenna 'tail' ends. I unscrewed the lens cover and went into the cab that way, which probably made it easier than most.

Now, I have a car-only unit, which probably installs a bit different from the Here-2-Anywhere versions, but that wasn't too difficult either, it uses a cd-changer type cable (assuming you have a compatible head-unit). All I had to do was find a place to hide it (I've got a Kenwood tuner which is not enormous, but not something that you'd really like to see sticking out somewhere)

If you've ever done any basic car stereo work, this will be one of the easier installs, did mine in about an hour. If you haven't, it can still be done, but may cause a few moments of frustration :)

Originally posted by merlot@Dec 17 2003, 12:18 PM

Have all of you installed the units yourself, or had them installed "professionally"? I've had a growing interest in Sat. radio since every friggin station I listen to in the morning insists on having a morning talk show. :roll:

I've just got the Roady that I put in myself. I haven't really gotten around to any sort of permanent installation, but I've looked into it, and it seems like it would be pretty straightforward. If you go with XM, http://www.xmfanstore.com and http://www.xmfan.com have a lot of useful information (as well as stuff to buy).

Thanks for the info guys. Right now I'm a bit torn. XM has an available glass mount antenna, while I haven't seen one for Sirius. Sirius, on the other hand, allows streaming to your PC. This would be a nice option since I have an older PC hooked up to my HT for use with iTunes.

installed a Clarion head unit as it has line level adjustable RCA inputs to which I have my Delphi Skyfi attached. No FM modulator or cassette adapter necessary. Then through the JL Audio amps to Alpine seperates in front, coax in back for fill and an MTX sub in the trunk. Not hard.

• 5 months later...

it should be noted that while they have most NPR shows, All Things Considered is reserved for traditional broadcasters as it's their most listened to show and essential for fund drives... still lots of other good programming, but damn, I've been listening to ATC for 25 years now and I have to have it

i'm still on the fence as to which provider I want and keep putting off the decision....

Originally posted by Orpheus@Jun 2 2004, 01:24 AM

it should be noted that while they have most NPR shows, All Things Considered is reserved for traditional broadcasters as it's their most listened to show and essential for fund drives...

I didn't realize that - makes me all the more satisified with XM. The only things I listen to on NPR are Morning Edition (which I get when the clock radio goes off and attempts to wake me up) and ATC. Well, those and Prairie Home Companion when I remember.

XM sells a PC connection kit as well.

Installation isn't that bad, and as for the antenna, you can also install it inside the car rather than the roof, which makes the installation that much easier. I didn't want to ruin the lines of my new car, so I just mounted the antenna on the far right corner of the dash.. it's worked great.

pioneerandxm.jpg

xmantenna.jpg