• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Preview

It looks like EA isn't just sitting on their license. A few things mentioned:

Gang Tackles

We saw a bit of gang tackling last year on the PS3, but this year the feature looks to be fully fleshed out. Cummings said with confidence that it's "the best gang-tackling engine ever created," a bold statement considering the old 2K franchise. But consider this:

You can stand a guy up and come in with a linebacker to clean house. Yeah, it's been done before. But from here, Cummings said you can add on dynamically at any point. So maybe it takes two, three, four guys to haul Larry Johnson to the ground. Or if you're running in with a linebacker, you can actually knock the other defenders off the ball carrier with a poorly-aimed hit. Or blockers can come in and try to knock defenders off. Or you can try to strip the ball. A runner can cover it up. The list just keeps going.

The Line of Scrimmage

EA enlisted an engineer that played offensive line in college and the Canadian Football League to design a new blocking scheme. This season you'll see double teams, stretch blocking and linemen extending to the second level. A lot more holes will open up this year and you'll need to follow the game plan to take advantage.

For running backs, that means reading and following blocks. Of course, a few gargantuan defensive tackles can ruin your trap play faster than you can say Corey Simon, so it's important to be able to improvise. Last season if a hole didn't open up, a back would simply run in place behind a lineman-- ice skating as it's known in the biz. This year, big backs will push the pile and force their blockers forward. Smaller backs like Reggie Bush will hesitate behind the line, waiting for an opening to develop before bouncing outside. Both moves are context-sensitive and automatic when you run into a blocker.

• 3 weeks later...

IGN Hands on

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789799p1.html

Heres a snippet:

Vick will still get his, but his runs will play out more like real football where he just breaks ankles the old fashioned way. Then throw in next-gen graphics, animations, gang tackling, mid-air collisions, Hit Stick 2.0, and improved AI (especially on the deep ball) and you are left with what may be the most enjoyable Madden in years.

• 1 month later...

More hands on. Cant wait, it not too far away!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/797/797066p1.html

This I especially like. How many times have you thrown a screen near the sidelines and the back automatically runs out of bounds for a loss.

Also, like we said before, there's no more getting caught in a catch animation, so as soon as the ball hits your hands the receiver is in your control, and the added responsiveness of the controls really helps in this regard. One instance of the increased sense of control came as I was playing against Dave Ortiz. He was using the Panthers, and I was the Jags. Steve Smith snagged a ball over the middle, and unlike last year where he would have gotten tackled because of being stuck in the same old catch animation, he was now able to immediately use his speed to cut away from a linebacker and then posterize my DB by using the highlight stick to maneuver his 5'9" frame to duck under a would-be tackler. It was an impressive display; it's just too bad it was against me.

Not trying to be too critical but how often do the reviewers that are given access to early builds say the game does not look like it is worth buying?
The 1up guys were exceptional in their enthusiasm for how good this Madden is looking compared to the last many years, particularly that last two years.

The 1up guys were exceptional in their enthusiasm for how good this Madden is looking compared to the last many years, particularly that last two years.

No, he's asking when do reviewers who are given exclusive access give a bad opinion about the early build? The answer is never since they don't want to jeopardize future access.

There seems to be a consensus this year among previewers that '08 is better. I hope so - being a huge NFL football fan I've been disappointed in the last two 360 offerings - less so with 2007 - but I've missed some things I used to enjoy in NFL2K5.

I'm looking for co-op, visible first-down sticks, and replays/challenges in particular from this year's game. All the new stuff sounds pretty darn good too, though.

I am still waiting for a TV style presentation. The one main thing 2K5 still has over Madden to this day. And can we please have another announcer to add color commentary. I don't even care if they sound like they are coming from an old RCA radio.

No, he's asking when do reviewers who are given exclusive access give a bad opinion about the early build? The answer is never since they don't want to jeopardize future access.
No, I did not misunderstand his question. His question came from someone who must not have listened to the podcast I listened to. Where the guys were talking about All-Pro Football, and how it is unfortunate that EA picked "this year" to improve Madden so much (Unfortunate for the underdog All-Pro). So it wasn't a preview of Madden. It was them giving sympathy for All-Pro given how Good Madden is shaping up.

Anyway, the sentiment was apparent. And I don't understand how this has turned into a mini-debate. It doesn't warrant it. Instead let's talk about how even if Madden is improved so much, it still isn't better than NFL2K5 WHOOHOO!

Just kidding. No I'm not. Just kidding.