LCVG

Silent Hill 5 details emerge...

...albeit at a snails pace.

Akira Yamaoka has revealed a sprinkling of information to Gamepro Magazine:

"At the moment I cannot reveal much detail on the story, or our progress, but I can tell you that this game will resemble Silent Hill 2 in the terms of the way the player is directed and the characters' behaviour"

In short supply much news might be, but that's an encouraging start!

Here’s what he had to say with regards to what platform it will come to:

At this time we are still not sure," confessed Yamaoka . "We are thinking of putting the next game on the next generation consoles like PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but we have had a good past experience with PlayStation [where the series was born] and we hope to continue that trend, but there are no definite plans as of yet."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162394

I certainly hope its more like Silent Hill 2 in terms of gameplay than Silent Hill 4, which felt almost like Resident Evil with the amount of combat.

I also desperately hope it comes out on Xbox 360. I don't care if its exclusive, but I'm never buying a PS3 so if its only PS3 I'll be a sad panda.

But if they go next gen I would look into it, but if they double back to Playstation...no thanks.

I do believe the quote in question is a statement as to whether they want the Silent Hill series to continue forward as a multiplatform IP (360, PS3) or release as a PS3 exclusive since the series has its root in Sony's consoles. There is no way in hell Silent Hill 5 releases as a Playstation 2 title.

I don't care if its exclusive, but I'm never buying a PS3

"Never" is a pretty strong word though. If the platform drops in price to more reasonable levels (and actually has top quality games your interested in like Silent Hill), I don't see why you would relegate the Playstation 3 to the "Never going to buy" stack.;)

"Never" is a pretty strong word though. If the platform drops in price to more reasonable levels (and actually has top quality games your interested in like Silent Hill), I don't see why you would relegate the Playstation 3 to the "Never going to buy" stack.

Not to go too far off topic here, but I made an agreement with my wife that I'd buy one system this generation rather than the three I bought last generation (before we were married). Our finances are rather tight, so I agreed. Thing is, even $200 would be too much to spend on another videogame system. So it isn't as much an idealogical stand I'm taking as much as a fiscal one, even though Sony irritates me more than Microsoft these days.

Anyway, one console for my son (Wii) one for me (Xbox 360). So far the 360 is my favorite console since the SNES, so I'm not at all disappointed in my choice. The possibility of going without Silent Hill 5 and Final Fantasy XIII make me very sad, as does the fact of doing without God Of War III. Those are the only titles I'll miss though.

Anyway, back to Silent Hill talk, I really hope we see a return to form with Silent Hill 5 to the days of Silent Hill 2. 3 was decent enough, although it never attained the "creepyness" of 2, and 4 was just bad (as a Silent Hill game anyway). I want to be unsettled like I was in the prison in 2 and the labyrinth.

Out of interest, how far into the development stage do developers have to finally make a decision about what format they might publish for? Is it a hugely disruptive process to plan and begin work for one platform and then into production decide to make it a multi-format release?

Really hard to tell, as it's utterly down to the design of the engine & the pipeline for content.

• 2 months later...

We of course now know from Konami at E3 that Silent Hill 5 will indeed debut on both the PS3 and 360. Here are the first screenshots:

158fs240923.jpg

158fs241126.jpg

Working on these systems allows us to push the envelope of technology and bring the town to life like never before," said William Oertel, producer at Konami Digital Entertainment. "You will take on the role of Alex Shepherd, a soldier returning from a tour of duty overseas." As Alex, you'll arrive in the town of Silent Hill to look for your missing younger brother. Konami said Alex will make use of his military training to fend off the grotesques of the ill-fated town.

Use of military training sounds awfully action driven to me.... also it turns out 'The Collective' is actually developing this game. My interest may be waning...

As noted in the teaser thread in the E3 area of the forum, I'm not thrilled by the choice of developer. The Collective /can/ do good work. They haven't in quite some time though.:( Furthermore, Yamaoka had spoken about Silent Hill V going in a new direction for the series and possibly continuing to develop the first person angle in 4. This seems to be a very "safe" sequel from the looks of it (though if they return to a good mix of puzzles combat I won't be disappointed). Mind, I'm glad to see the series return to Silent Hill finally but I'm leary. Not to mention that the character of Alex sounds like he's a bit TOO inspired by Jacob's Ladder (soldier returning from duty etc. etc.). Maybe it's a bit too obvious or maybe I'm just wrong.

It's Silent Hill in the end so my interest almost never wanes but I am, without question, worried.