LCVG

Twin Peaks Seasons 1 + 2 (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Hey Dudes,

Now that I've finished the TV series, I wanted to start a thread where we can discuss without worrying about spoilers.

I haven't watched the movie yet, but will within the next few days...so if the movie is discussed, please spoiler tag those out yet...

Without further adieu, - wow. I can definitely see how for many viewers, the show ended after it was revealed that Leland killed Laura. The storylines that followed didn't have the same type of magic that made the first dozen episodes, in my mind, perfect TV. That's not to say that the show runs out of gas, but it does lose some momentum during some of the episodes that follow after Leland dies.

I'm not entirely sure, and could use some help with what happened with the show being cancelled. The way the last episode ends, it seems like it is a lot of setup for Season 3 - almost like the creators were unaware the show would be cancelled.

As it stands, it's a decent ending, but there are just so many unanswered questions. The bank blowing up, Cooper being possessed by Bob, Donna finding out who her family is, Nadine coming back to her senses, and where's James? Mrs. Palmer sounded possessed by Bob in the diner when speaking to Major Briggs. What about the White Lodge? Is Leo going to to be ok?

The scene in the red curtain room...Cooper is told that he won't see the backswards/forwards-speaking host again for 25 years, I didn't know what the significance to that was.

Maybe I'm being premature since I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I understand the movie is a prequel.

I can only imagine how some of you must have been bummed out watching the last episode of Season 2, only to find out...that's it!

Really though - what a great series.

I'm not entirely sure, and could use some help with what happened with the show being cancelled. The way the last episode ends, it seems like it is a lot of setup for Season 3 - almost like the creators were unaware the show would be cancelled.

Going from memory (all my 'Wrapped in Plastics' are back in the UK)... The ratings dropped tremendously in the second season, ABC changed time slots on it, ratings dropped some more (suprise, suprise), and it was looking like it wasn't going to get renewed for a third season, so they brought back Lynch to direct the last episode for a major cliffhanger. I think the crew knew it wasn't looking good for a renewal, but I could be wrong on it.

It's worth noting that Lynch threw much of the original script for the final episode, dramatically altering the mood, tone & contents of the final episode. It would have been far less interesting with much more of a focus on Earle.

Maybe I'm being premature since I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I understand the movie is a prequel.

It's a prequel, yes, but everything in Twin Peaks is circular...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't know that Lynch threw out most of the original script for the last episode. And I'd say that the last episode qualifies as a major cliffhanger. Had it simply ended on the cliffhanger of Cooper 'becoming' Bob that would have been such a downer, but it would have fit for a Lynch story.

But as I pointed out above, that's not the only unanswered question. Cooper losing the battle at least provides closure to that storyline, even if it's not a happy ending. The other cliffhangers seemed really to be setup for another season.

I'm really looking forward to watching the movie, and I'll have to watch the bonus features, too. Maybe they will provide some insight as far as what the creators had in mind for after Season 2.

Hey Brian,

My girlfriend and I watched the movie tonight. Two thumbs up! I'll admit, it wasn't what I had expected - I thought there would be more Cooper, more Kiefer Sutherland...more Harry Dean Stanton - but it was very good nonetheless.

The scenes with Leland and Laura are straight-up chilling. The scene with Annie in Laura's room telling her to write in her diary, along with other q's I've had, caused me to dig around on the web to readup. There's a ton of Twin Peaks discussion, and I realize now how much more there was going on than I was realizing.

If I understand right, 'good' Cooper is in the Black Lodge, having given up his soul to save Annie. Which means his evil doppelganger is in Twin Peaks. But, the Black Lodge seems to exist on a seperate timeline. And the midget is the arm, having been cut off by the shoesalesman long ago... There seems to be speculation that the White Lodge is Twin Peaks long ago, and that perhaps the story that the Major shared with Bobby was of a visit to the White Lodge.

A lot to think about. You had mentioned that you read Wrapped in Plastic - did you read Laura's diary, or listen to the Cooper Tapes that were released? Just curious if they are worth checking out...

Cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bump this up. My wife and I finally finished the last two episodes of the TV series as well as watching the FWWM film today. Jesus, what a fantastic fictional universe. I am really sad that this wasn't even further developed, what an incredible set of characters, mythology, writing, etc.

I was expecting very little out of the second season based on what I'd read in the past and yet was totally blown away. I agree the series lost focus for a bit for the couple of episodes after Leland died and that plot line was sort of wrapped up, but by the end the writers has totally grabbed us right back in with the further exploration of the Lodges and Earle. The last 15 minutes of the series in the Black Lodge was postively riveting.

I had actually seen the FWWM film out of order in the past and enjoyed it though much of it made little sense. I REALLY got a lot more out of it this time around for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I also am curious by the tertiary resources of the diaries, Cooper Tapes, etc. and if they are worth persuing. I'm disappointed there is no more to explore on film and would be willing to give the other stuff a shot. Lynch is just so underrated it's not even funny. I still can't believe he went from a Best Director nom for Mulholland Drive (also fucking fantastic) to having to scrape up money to self-distribute Inland Empire. Haven't seen it yet, I can't wait...

EDIT: One more thing, I have NEVER had so many dreams about a work of fiction as I have about Twin Peaks. My wife too! I think that says a great deal about Lynch's mastery in tapping into our subconcious and our deeply buried fears.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, I also am curious by the tertiary resources of the diaries, Cooper Tapes, etc. and if they are worth persuing. I'm disappointed there is no more to explore on film and would be willing to give the other stuff a shot.

Frankly, at this point, probably not. Most of the tertiary spin-off material was written/released during season 1 & the early part of season 2, and plain doesn't fit with the later, uh, revelations.... There's some interesting connections (that I can't remember offhand) in the Secret Diary novel, but nothing essential or particularly revealing. It wasn't exactly well written. I didn't buy the Cooper Tapes, wish I had, and it's a long, long time since I've ever heard them. Don't think I've ever seen a bootleg torrent of them surface which is suprising.

There's a fan-created DVD iso floating around (look on the dugpa forum) that's worth a download. Lots of old TV spots from around the height of Peak-mania.

Wrapped In Plastic is by far the most essential of the Peaks related paraphanalia - a fan created magazine that ran for a good number of years with incredibly anal, reaching & in-depth discussions about the show & surrounding Lynch/Frost material (and of course, other Lynch productions etc)... Not exactly easy to get - we're talking a small fanzine type production - but they have back issues on their site & there's frequent eBay auctions for it. I used to get my "fix" of it in my local Forbidden Planet & Tower back in Glasgow on my weekends back home. Between the two of them, there'd maybe be 3 or 4 copies of each issue & if I was lucky I'd be home the right weekend to grab it. Good times... My big stack of 'em is back home at my parents - hopefully it will survive their impending move.

• 5 years later...

Mark Kermode, one of Britain's better film critics, runs a videocast/blog/club called "Uncut Film Club" where he picks an under-appreciated movie & tries to provoke a discussion about it via his blog; think of it as a podcast organised film club.

His pick a few weeks ago was Fire Walk With Me. He posted a great intro on the background of the film, its reaction by critics that helped kill it in the market, and why it's under-appreciated & misunderstood.

Well worth a watch. I need to rewatch FWWM sometime soon.

• 2 years later...