LCVG

Amped 2 or SSX

foogledricks

I loved SSX, but want to choose Amped because of its XSN/Live support. But damn it, SSX is getting awesome reviews. And Game Informer gave Amped a 6.5/10. I do acknowledge that some reviewers don't put a lot of weight on XBlive features, while others put more. But since XBlive support is the primary reason I'm more interested in Amped, it is an important distinction.

Have there been any other reviews of Amped hanging around? Anyone read the GI review?

I just went with SSX3 because I love the last one so much, at the same time Amped didn't do much for me (although it looked beautiful). The live component of Amped 2 is definitely a selling point, and if it turns out to be a great game I might buy it as well, but for me SSX3 is one of those must-buy games.

The other thing I thought about was that I'm already buying several Live games, Top Spin and Crimson Skies being the main ones, so I don't feel as compelled to get another one.

The only similarity between these games is the theme. Beyond that I don't know how fair of a comparison one can make. It's like comparing an arcade FPS (Quake III, Unreal) to a "realistic" FPS (Ghost Recon, MOHAA).

Personally, I'm a huge SSX fan. Any game that plays like Wipeout with tricks is right up my alley.

Actually, now that I think of it, once I've got Top Spin, Links, PGR2, and Donkey Konga, I'm going to be too busy for any more games this year. By the time things slow down, Full Spectrum Warrior and Halo 2 will be approaching the shelves.

Sure, I might be able to squeeze one or two more games in there, but I'll have to wait for final reviews first (including reviews from LCVG members).

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Oct 22 2003, 10:28 AM

But the dilemma...better control scheme (right?) on PS2, 480p on XBox. Then there's Amped 2...

For me SSX has always controlled better with the Dual Shock, even though I own Tricky on the Xbox :P

As far as 480p goes, I do believe that SSX is 480p on all platforms this year. The main benefit for the PS2 version is for the online play.

The benefits for Amped are, 720p support, online play, and XSN.

I'll most likely wind up with both as I enjoy what both games have to offer.

SSX3 has a very different feel to it compared to the previous one, the idea of a single mountain, which when I first heard about it, seemed limited, is far from it (it may be a little early to make this judgement, however). The mountain has 3 peaks, 2 and 3 are locked. I unlocked peak 2 last night and it's a whole different affair from 1, the weather is nasty (nice weather effects!), it's more dangerous (one of the runs is called "ruthless"), and darker overall.

What the one-moutain concept lets them do is create a more immersive game in that you almost live on the mountain, you visit the lodge where you can buy stuff (the lodge is just a menu interface, though), including attributes, then when you leave the lodge you glide down the mountain and decide what event you'd like to try next. Instead of choosing through a menu, you just decide based on 'road' signs as you board.

When you finish an event, you can call for a transport that can take you to any number of locations/events. It's a cool feeling to be dropped by a hover-plane at the top of the peak, again, more immersive.

Aside from that, the gameplay is sweet. The control is a little tighter (I notice that trying to hit rails by boarding right into them - as opposed to trying to land on them - is easier, which was a frustration in the last one), the player animations are more fluid. There are new tricks, and ways of chaining them together.

But the level design may be the biggest standout...it is just incredible, a massive step up from the last one, which was no slouch. Where the last game had 'courses' and 'branches' off the main course, this one just has an open field of opportunity, you can go in any direction (there are boundaries, however) and find vertiginous slopes of joy waiting for you. You spend a lot more time boarding in powder as a result, but they've managed to crate very realistic 'humps' in the snow that allow you tricks no matter where you are. Eventually you merge onto more track-like sections with the chevroned ramps, inviting you to break your neck.

All in all, it's $50 VERY well spent, I can see this playing on my screen for many many hours to come.

Does the XBOX version support custom soundtracks?

No. The music was a concern of mine. I preferred the techno of the last two to the more rock-based music of this one. That said, they did a good job. The songs are generally remixes and sound pretty good. I do miss Rozell (sp?) the announcer though.

Does the XBOX version force you to use the black and white buttons for some tricks?

The black & white buttons are only used for hand plants on rails. Y, B, L, & R are for tricks. Very easy.

Thanks for the info, Camp.

Went to Best Buy to pick up Dr. Jones on DVD and of course walked by the games section. I saw a stack of $5 off any XBOX game coupons, so I couldn't resist getting SSX 3. Now I need a strategy guide for convincing my wife to turn off The Bachelor and let me play!

Pieter