LCVG

Zune love?

tiac

Ok, so i bought one, a Zune, the day they were released. I had a gen 1 iPod and wanted something new. I've had it for quite some time, but never really messed with software for it. As far as I know, only Zune software is compatible. This disappoints me.

I have my entire iTunes library tagged correctly w/album art. I want this to transfer exactly over to the Zune software, but it seemes to miss songs and art in the process. My question is really does anyone here have a Zune and/or know of any programs (i.e. media players) that have Zune plug-ins.

What I really want is my iTunes to find my Zune, but I think thats just wishful thinking.

• 3 months later...

I visited an old college friend over the weekend and he had a Zune. I had never used one and wasnt expecting much, mostly because what I knew about the Zune was relegated to jokes. My bud even had a brown one.

It's a really, really good player. The OS is lightyears beyond my iPod, the screen is amazing with fullscreen album artwork when playing a song. He had a ton of pictures of his kid on it as well, and it actually came in handy a couple of times I was there.

In the short time I was with it, the only thing I really didnt like about it was its size and the fact I kept trying to use the button as a clickwheel.

I was thinking about getting one (I've put off getting an MP3 player for too long) but I'm not sure what limitations the Zune had that would affect my enjoyment. For instance, will it play all the MP3s currently on my hard drive? (Most of my MP3s are from the golden age... You know... Free love and Napigator...) Can I use it to store photos d/l'd straight from the camera?

What are the pitfalls of the player?

I picked up my Halo 3 Zune about 2 months ago and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I downloaded all of South Park's Season 11 episodes and have been watching them on the train. I'm really impressed with picture viewer too. I have full size 5MB JPGs from my DSLR transferred to my laptop and it synced them all to the Zune. I'm impressed at the speed the Zune read the images and the thumbnail generation. The quality of the picture is very nice too. I also like the fact that the Radio is built in with RDS which shows the song the station is currently playing. Too bad they're not selling this in Canada and I have to go to Buffalo to pickup all the accessories. These were recently $179USD at Dell.com and that's a great price for a 30GB player.

As an MP3 player, I think it's quite great. Places like zuneboards.com and zunescene.com already have hacks that allow you to transfer iTunes to Zune. However, for movies, they have to be converted to Zune format wmv. I use AutoMKV for this. However, Zune Boards has a section for media where people have already converted movies, tv shows, music vids, etc to zune format.

I'm quite happy with the Zune and I already have 3268 MP3s in there.

I was just going to post that...seems like a pretty good deal. I wish I could justify replacing my ipod with this but I just can't...I like a lot of the things the Zune does over the ipod but in my heart of hearts I know I would basically be dropping a buck and a half just to get rid of the only apple product I own.